SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Newbie to the site. Glad to be a Saab owner...but more about that later.
I am seeking some insight to, what I believe is a problem, but honestly am not all that knowledgeable about mechanics.

I am in the process of replacing the struts and mounts on my 99 Saab 9-3. On the front passenger side the coil spring got in a bind while I was taking it all out, so it was a little more difficult to get the whole assembly out than what it should of been. My neighbor and I finally wrestled it out, and the CV axle dropped out....found out I had a bad right CV axle...I was suspicious of it, since when I made a tight turn, there would be a "crunch" sound. Ordered a replacement and installed it, I noticed there were ball bearings laying on the garage floor the other day, I assumed these were from the CV axle, but I know the axle has needle bearings....and I saw some of those on the floor as well....when I inspected the new CV I could just see the needle bearings. Are there ball bearings in it somewhere as well??? And that is what the ball bearings on the floor are, just left over from the old CV......Or is there a bigger problem that I have accidently uncovered?? Where did these ball bearings come from??
When I turn the new CV axle ( it's in park ) it will of course only turn a fraction, and I could turn the whole shaft by the CV when in neutral.

It is an automatic trans.

Thanks for any help that might come

-Nick

·
Registered
554 Posts
since you had the strut out.... maybe the bearing seperated?.. its just a plastic ring... when we pulled my struts out I ended up with a hand full of bearings on the ground....had to replace the bearings... pretty damn easy to do...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Those more than likely came from the strut mount bearing. That bearing allows the strut assembly to turn below the strut mount.

Strut mount and bearing.

The bearing is #6

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, thanks for the posts, I was concerned I had disrupted something else in the process.
I will look at the old strut mount, and see if that was where they came from. I bought new mounts to go along with the new struts. I don't think I have tossed the old one out yet

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
Did you get new bearings with the new mounts? If not, you may have a bearing failure soon. The indicator will be the sound of the strut spring sort of binding and hopping as you turn the steering wheel.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New bearings with the new mounts??? I would think so, they were a complete unit, rotate really smooth, I didn't have to assemble anything.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whhhhhaaaat?? The bearings are separate from the mounts??? No one even remotely told me that when I was buying all the parts and asking numerous people if the strut inserts and the new mounts are all I need.

These are the mounts....http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...l?loc=Front&tlc=Brakes,+Suspension+&+Steering

they are completely assembled

So if the bearings are separate, what exactly do I need to do?? I don't quite see where the bearings would fit, I have reassembled the strut assembly, haven't installed it yet, but everything fit back the way it was before

1 - 9 of 9 Posts