SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you everyone in advance for your advice and thoughts on my questions below.

Some background info: I have a manual shift, 1993 Saab 900 Turbo. Noise started coming from the transmission when on the gas in the upper gears, like a knocking sound. I have been told it’s the pinion gear.

When she started making the noise, I immediately parked her and have not driven her as to avoid further damage. I unscrewed the back plate of the transmission and I can see a few teeth ground down on what I was told is the pinion gear.

Other than the noise, she drives and shifts perfectly!

I don’t know if this is true advice, but I have been told that a tranny rebuild verses a compete tranny swap out with a working used tranny is about the same money either way. (Labor costs of rebuilding verses just swapping with a working used tranny).

So with that, would I be ok to just continue to drive her gently until as is, until the tranny completely dies, and then just do a complete swap out with a used working tyranny? Or, would I be doing damage to other components outside of the tranny once the tranny has a catastrophic failure?

Someone told me with the looks of damage in the pic, I should be fine driving her for another 1000,000 miles at least as long as I drive gently. I don’t know if that’s true advice.

Any thoughts and advice is very appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
I've rebuilt countless 900 transmissions.
That gearbox can't be rebuilt, the damage is too severe. Most of the internal gears will also be damaged.
If you drive it, gently or not, at some undetermined moment, the front wheels will lock up and you'll lose control of the car. This could happen at any speed, but most often at low speed.
Eriksson Industries in Connecticut has sold high-quality rebuilds for decades. I'd buy one from them.
I've never installed a used transmission so I can't offer advice about them.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Yeah... that thing is wrecked.

The only thing I will toss in though is that finding parts for c900 transmissions IS getting difficult. You will probably be in the same money either way, but I would probably not drive that car... if ANYTHING is salvageable from that transmission it may end up being the difference between even being able to put a new transmission in there or not. I would personally not create more damage just to do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've rebuilt countless 900 transmissions.
That gearbox can't be rebuilt, the damage is too severe. Most of the internal gears will also be damaged.
If you drive it, gently or not, at some undetermined moment, the front wheels will lock up and you'll lose control of the car. This could happen at any speed, but most often at low speed.
Eriksson Industries in Connecticut has sold high-quality rebuilds for decades. I'd buy one from them.
I've never installed a used transmission so I can't offer advice about them.
Jim, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... that thing is wrecked.

The only thing I will toss in though is that finding parts for c900 transmissions IS getting difficult. You will probably be in the same money either way, but I would probably not drive that car... if ANYTHING is salvageable from that transmission it may end up being the difference between even being able to put a new transmission in there or not. I would personally not create more damage just to do it.
Jvanabra, thank you so much for the reply.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
A Jim said , regardless of how you drive , a Lock up will occur , that maybe in your driveway , but it may also be at a long way from home , so if you are doing mental risk calculations , then factor the Tow truck and the inconvenience .
It seems your choices are , a Rebuilt tranny or a used unit from a wreck , the costs re installation remain the same , as the engine and existing box are coming out ....
Its simply a matter of how much you are willing to spend for a professionally rebuilt ( eg who Jim references ) or a used unit from a donor car , if any are available to you . That is your gamble .
If you do go for a used unit as opposed Reco , look for the latter years of the model , and perhaps one out of a non turbo . This may give you a lesser risk (may)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Jim said , regardless of how you drive , a Lock up will occur , that maybe in your driveway , but it may also be at a long way from home , so if you are doing mental risk calculations , then factor the Tow truck and the inconvenience .
It seems your choices are , a Rebuilt tranny or a used unit from a wreck , the costs re installation remain the same , as the engine and existing box are coming out ....
Its simply a matter of how much you are willing to spend for a professionally rebuilt ( eg who Jim references ) or a used unit from a donor car , if any are available to you . That is your gamble .
If you do go for a used unit as opposed Reco , look for the latter years of the model , and perhaps one out of a non turbo . This may give you a lesser risk (may)
Aussie900. Thank you for the great advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts