SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I'm getting between 7-12 mpg in my old saab....and it's not a super duper mad boosted turbo, it's a 1991 900S. Turns out that my brakes (the back ones for sure, havent checked the front) are rubbing quiet bad (hard to turn wheel by hand). How do I adjust this, or do i need to replace something.

also, someone here (i forget who) recomended that I put in a (3 or was it 2) wire O2 sensor...how would I go about doing this (ie wiring the xtra 1 or 2 wires), and which one(s) should I get?

Thank you,
-Alex

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Basically

14 mm bolt on back of caliper, remove. Insert 4mm allen key to back off the "base setting" of the brakes.

Now remove the caliper, grease up the sliding pins, then put it back together. Hopefully this solves the problem. You may have seized parking brake cables or a stuck caliper or something like this holding the brake on.

You may need new pads too by now ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would parking brake effect both wheels? and do i need to clamp the brake lines and bleed when them when I put the calipers back on? or does it sort itself out?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
would parking brake effect both wheels? and do i need to clamp the brake lines and bleed when them when I put the calipers back on? or does it sort itself out?
Don't take off the brake line so you don't need to bleed. Parking brake can affect one or both. Do the same thing to both though anyway.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
how do i adjust parking brake? when i apply it basically nothing happens except when I pull it hard to the last click or two...

edit: and do any of you know about the o2 sensors, and which is the best? Saabs have two right?

-Alex

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well i pull into the brake and muffler shop for an estimate.
I walk in and ask about some estmates and the guy says what do you need? and I said that the brakes feel tight. He said, was that you in the saab? Then it's your rear calipers, they need to be replaced. Is this common? I have a parts car, should I switch them over? Then I asked about a new exhaust, and it was $600. I asked about custom work and he said that they dont do saabs.

I guess it's the bend over the rear axel? What should I do? I messed with the little allen in the back and it loosened them, but they still rub and i seems like they might not work as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts