SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car with what was assumed to be a bad rod knock. The more I drove it it seemed to be more of a stuck valve. I just got the oil pan down and I'm starting to think it's not a rod. All the rods are tight with no wiggle.. There is a small amour of side to side lash but the bearings all seem good. Are these motors known for main bearings going bad?? I don't have the inverted torques at home to pull them off. I'll proceed to pull rod caps and look at the bearings just to be sure but I'm leaning more tords mains now. Kinda sucks. I was hoping to do some polishing and swap rod bearings and get some more miles before I need to do a swap.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You should check the tolerances on the rods anyway, I used Plastiguage to do mine. If the motor was sludged the mains could be damaged.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the rods check out good. I couldn't do the mains withought inverted torques. I don't have an oil light Pluss the oil is clean. I'm going back to thinking it's a seriously stuck lifter. I can't imagine a lifter would be this loud. It really does sound top end. The car drives great with plenty of power. The knock/tap almost goes away around 3800-4000rpms and I have been rather hard on it since I have a spare motor with 87,000 miles on the clock. I think I'll pull the valve cover asap and see what's inside.

·
Registered
111 Posts
what happened I have this exact problem with my viggen, plenty of power, just loud, my non-saab guy said lifter My saab guy says i need new engine(maybe pistons)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I swapped out the motor and havnt torn down the old one yet. I believe it was a piston. I checked the bearings and don't think a valve could have been as loud as mine was knocking. It started getting worse so I figured I should pull it while it's still in one piece and I can rebuild it into something potent. It only has 128,000 miles on it so it should be salvageable. I just need to get to work on my 1970 F350. I just pulled her in the shop to start teardown for a total resto-mod build. Spare no expense on the old girl so the Saab is my reliable driver while I'm down to one set of wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts