SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector I have had 3 ignition coils mis-fire under heavy load over the last few years. I replaced one with a new coil, one with a used coil and now the third is starting to mis-fire. I am a loyal Saab fan but I don't beleive in continuing to buy parts that won't last.

I am going to install a different type of coil from some other car, maybe from a Mitsubishi. But the Saab coil has 4 wires and most other cars have 3 wires. What is the forth wire for? And how can I modify my wiring?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am going to install a different type of coil from some other car, maybe from a Mitsubishi. But the Saab coil has 4 wires and most other cars have 3 wires. What is the forth wire for? And how can I modify my wiring?
Wow.

You know, there are other suppliers of ignition coils that fit...

I've not seen one auto manufacturer that has a good track record with ignition coils. Audi/VW's go bad, BMW's go bad, Ford's go bad, GM's go bad, etc, etc.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
maybe from a Mitsubishi. But the Saab coil has 4 wires and most other cars have 3 wires. What is the forth wire for? And how can I modify my wiring?
I might be misremembering, but I had thought the OE coil packs were made by Mitsubishi. If so, you should be able substitute a mitsubishi one, but of course it wouldn't last any longer than the original.

I don't know whether the 4th wire does this or not, but I think the spark plugs also act as some kind of sensor...does that sound familiar to anyone? In any case, you will need to find a pack with four wires, the ECU is pretty fussy.

Also, what do others think? I don't remember reading very many bad coil pack threads on here. Just one now and then.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yep, the spark plugs act as knock sensors... though I am not on my computer that has WIS so I am not sure of which wire does this function.

I might be misremembering, but I had thought the OE coil packs were made by Mitsubishi. If so, you should be able substitute a mitsubishi one, but of course it wouldn't last any longer than the original.

I don't know whether the 4th wire does this or not, but I think the spark plugs also act as some kind of sensor...does that sound familiar to anyone? In any case, you will need to find a pack with four wires, the ECU is pretty fussy.

Also, what do others think? I don't remember reading very many bad coil pack threads on here. Just one now and then.

·
Registered
397 Posts
the coils arent that expensive online versus the dealer etc - half price i would say. supposedly as well the first gen with issues were yellow on top - th eblack ones are better..

http://trolltuner.com/?p=326
Just planning ahead... what is the best online source for coils these days? I don't need them now but I like to have this stuff handy and not be in crisis mode looking and posting should a coil go bad on me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
The 4 wires are power and ground. One power and ground for the coil and power for the ign driver and ecu ground.

PLEASE STOP RUINING YOUR CAR!! Buy correct parts and problems go away. Trionic wont accept any other coil. Period.

·
Super Moderator
19,051 Posts
Closed for being 5.5 years ago.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.