SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got around to putting my 900s engine back in. so far i put on about 20 miles(just test driving around the neighborhood cause i dont have tags) . i was just wondering if the old gas in the car is bad. see i orginally bought the car because it had a bad timing chain and some other problems with was causeing it to get about 6 miles per gallon (and that was on the highway!). i never drove the car before it was broken so i cant really compare before and after the gas sat. the car does feel great right now though cant compare to my turbo (which is broken now!!!)

well anyway the gas has been sitting in the tank since last october. you think its gone bad? do you think after i fill her up it will feel diffrent? i dont have plates on the car right now and its got about 1/2 a tank so i cant really fill it up right now.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You can Google for some articles on gasoline deteriation, but articles I saw said 60-90 days storage if no stabilizer was added when fresh. They said no way to bring it back to life and it is hard to detect bad gas. Also hard to dispose of it.

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_handle_fuel_care/

Moisture is easy to take out with dry gas. Then change fuel filters. I guess I'd worry about the varnishing they talk about.

One practical solution, though not as good as draining and properly disposing of the gas, would be to add fuel injector cleaner (which I think is meant to remove varnish), fill rest of tank with good gas, and drive it. When almost empty, refill with good gas and change gas filter. I'm not a chemist, so get a second opinion!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts