SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
I recently just posted a thread about my car acting up when cold. Now I have a question about the horrible gas mileage i get. I was told it could be dangerous to try and replace the fuel filter since there is so much rust and you may not get a perfect seal. I was also told it would get me worse gas mileage to replace. This is coming from a "mechanic" and am interested in some feed-back on this subject. Also when I first purchased the vehicle the shift light worked. Now it does not seem to work at all. It may just be a light bulb or some sort of relay or fuse...just a thought. And not to forget but I constantly watch my gas needle fluctuate constantly. Appreciate any and all advice thank you.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
If you have that much rust, you should think about repairing the fuel line. In fact, if you have significant rust, is gasoline leaking out before it gets anywhere?:eek:

As for the up shift light, it's only a light with some sensors. It isn't integral to anything. Even if the system is down, no big deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the late response...i have been really busy as of late. no gas leaks anywhere, it just seems to get the worst gas mileage ever, but that is expected with older vehicles. i have looked at the fuel filter and the lines and visually they look like they could need to be replaced, but replacing fuel lines can be very expensive ( almost more than the vehicle ).

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
sorry for the late response...i have been really busy as of late. no gas leaks anywhere, it just seems to get the worst gas mileage ever, but that is expected with older vehicles. i have looked at the fuel filter and the lines and visually they look like they could need to be replaced, but replacing fuel lines can be very expensive ( almost more than the vehicle ).
Visit a wreckers and get a good replacement, blow out with compressed air then clean with carb cleaner or similar... Fuel filter and worse gas mileage, sounds silly as... Change the fuel filter, if the car hasn't had an air filter change I'd advise doing that too... A bad ECU could be the cause of really bad consumption (too rich) but I think you would see that with black smoke out the tailpipe

How bad is bad? with a N/A 16v yo should be getting 25-30mpg I think approx depending on how you drive

When you drive your car do you have a fuelly smell or anything? How long has it been since you've replaced your O2 sensor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts