SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went out to the Saab today after not driving it for a few days and the battery was dead.
No big deal, throw it on the battery charger and I go to fire it up a little bit later.

*Crank, crank, crank, crank*...nothing.
Sounds like it's turning over no problem, I try again...no results.

However my fuel pump is running abnormally and sounds like a little air compressor.
I'm think it's either stuck and/or shot.

Any way to be 100% sure?
Or does the odd noise it's making pretty much sum it up its death?

Video:
Fuel Pump Noise Video

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Measure voltage at the fuel pump connector under the rear seat during cranking and try starting it on starter fluid. If it starts on the fluid and you have voltage, then odds are its the pump. If the mileage is over 125K and its the original pump then its on borrowed time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Measure voltage at the fuel pump connector under the rear seat during cranking and try starting it on starter fluid. If it starts on the fluid and you have voltage, then odds are its the pump. If the mileage is over 125K and its the original pump then its on borrowed time.
Will try give a try.
Car is under 90k miles, but I'm the first owner to give it any respect and care :(

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Pumps have been known to fail around that point, mileage is just a rough estimate since the pump runs whenever the car is on even if not driving any distance. Also running a low fuel level repeatedly will shorten the life.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pumps have been known to fail around that point, mileage is just a rough estimate since the pump runs whenever the car is on even if not driving any distance. Also running a low fuel level repeatedly will shorten the life.

This is an old mechanics test....If its an in the tank fuel pump have someone start to turn over the car and just as they start to turn it over grab a rubber mallet or something to bang on the tank underbelly while the car cranks. You only have a few second window to do this, so you must do it the first few seconds when they turn the key over. A lot of the times if it jumps to life, it is the fuel pump is going screwy. In my limited knowledge if the fuel pump is bad you normally will hear NO noise when you turn the key.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is an old mechanics test....If its an in the tank fuel pump have someone start to turn over the car and just as they start to turn it over grab a rubber mallet or something to bang on the tank underbelly while the car cranks. You only have a few second window to do this, so you must do it the first few seconds when they turn the key over. A lot of the times if it jumps to life, it is the fuel pump is going screwy. In my limited knowledge if the fuel pump is bad you normally will hear NO noise when you turn the key.
Thanks for the tip, it's free so I'll give it a try.

Although now I'm wondering if it could be something else (other than my noisy fuel pump)
I'm thinking the DIC...perhaps the ECU? :x

Not really sure how to test the DIC.
I took it off, stuck an old spark plug in it and tried to get it to spark on the chassis, but nothing. Maybe I was doing it wrong or maybe it was bad...

How could one tell of the ECU fried somehow?
My remote and alarm still work as well as the SID saying to test the brakes and fill my coolant (bad sensor)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks for the tip, it's free so I'll give it a try.

Although now I'm wondering if it could be something else (other than my noisy fuel pump)
I'm thinking the DIC...perhaps the ECU? :x

Not really sure how to test the DIC.
I took it off, stuck an old spark plug in it and tried to get it to spark on the chassis, but nothing. Maybe I was doing it wrong or maybe it was bad...

How could one tell of the ECU fried somehow?
My remote and alarm still work as well as the SID saying to test the brakes and fill my coolant (bad sensor)
First step would be to pour some starter fluid or gas into the throttle like Jake says. If it fires your di is good.
Next I would take off the fuel connection at the fuel filter. Does pressurized or any hint of air come out? Next with it disconnected crank the car, does steady fuel flow?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First step would be to pour some starter fluid or gas into the throttle like Jake says. If it fires your di is good.
Next I would take off the fuel connection at the fuel filter. Does pressurized or any hint of air come out? Next with it disconnected crank the car, does steady fuel flow?
Had to go pick up some starter fluid (thank god for having access to other vehicles)
Where is the fuel filter located? (Dark right now, just so I have an idea in tomorrow)

You should carry a back up di in your trunk as the best way to test it is with a known good one
I'd like to, I seem to miss out on the good deals for one.
My DIC doesnt look bad, no cracks or melting for whatever that is worth.

Aside from those tips which I will try tomorrow, could this be an ECU problem?
Causing a lack spark and an odd noise from the fuel pump.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Had to go pick up some starter fluid (thank god for having access to other vehicles)
Where is the fuel filter located? (Dark right now, just so I have an idea in tomorrow)

I'd like to, I seem to miss out on the good deals for one.
My DIC doesnt look bad, no cracks or melting for whatever that is worth.

Aside from those tips which I will try tomorrow, could this be an ECU problem?
Causing a lack spark and an odd noise from the fuel pump.
Fuel filter is under the passenger door. Its hard to tell if a di is good. But if you do the starter fluid trick and she fires up for a sec your di is good. Your ecu should be fine as long as its plugged in fine, but the cps that it gets a signal from might not be.
But yea make sure the battery isn't toast and that there is gas in the tank first ;ol;

·
Registered
685 Posts
Can you hear the pump prime from cold? If your prepared to remove the back seat you can get to the connector block for the pump to test your getting voltage to it. Easy enough to borrow a DIC just to try I would have thought. Have you checked starter motor? Oh and you have got petrol in haven't you? Could be a hose worked loose from the pump. Pump is easy to remove as me and bogan have done recently if you've got you have got some tin snips.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For ease of ruling things out...instead of cutting open the underbody or if you dont have a spare $500 DIC module (who does) to check to see if yours is kaput. The BEST things to try first to rule out stuff is try to bang the underside of the tank when someone is cranking it. This will almost always rule out a fuel pump going flaky. But, since you said you hear it prime I doubt that is what it is. The other thing you can try is spraying something into the throttle body to see if it fires up. If it does fire up you can rule out your DI.

If those two things turn out ok, then you can at least rule them out and start looking other places. Of course make sure there is gas in there (im sure you have), if it is even close I would put 5 gallons from gas can or something. What really kills fuel pumps is when people run low on gas or accidentally run out. The pumps use fuel to cool them when they run, so if the fuel is real low it can suck air and really burn itself out fast.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so I guess it's not the fuel pump ;oops:
(Though it sure is noisy)

My DIC is bad.
Took off the TB intake, sprayed some starter fluid in and cranked.
While cranking some more was being sprayed in, not even a sputter :(

Does that narrow it down to the DIC?
Any chance it's something else (Like the ECM?)
Not that I'm looking for more problems, just want to be sure before I ask the loan shark for DIC money.

·
Registered
129 Posts

My DIC is bad.

Not that I'm looking for more problems, just want to be sure before I ask the loan shark for DIC money.

It is hard to cough up that money for a part that seems like it should only cost $150-maybe $200. Hell they make cell phones that dial INTO SPACE for cheaper.

That would be my guess. I would think a bad ECU would cause some sort of issue before that you would have noticed, but I may be wrong. Ive never seen one go bad, but lets see until someone else chimes in on this.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is hard to cough up that money for a part that seems like it should only cost $150-maybe $200. Hell they make cell phones that dial INTO SPACE for cheaper.

That would be my guess. I would think a bad ECU would cause some sort of issue before that you would have noticed, but I may be wrong. Ive never seen one go bad, but lets see until someone else chimes in on this.
I see a few on eBay that aren't horribly priced.
But I'll see what the members here are asking.

Going to see if I can find a pin out for the DIC connector, just want to make sure it's getting power.
Best to rule out everything before I drop money that could be a waste.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the issue was...nothing!...in a way.

I'm guessing it had to be the ECU.
It did not like the battery going dead. I knew something didn't feel right with the DIC going bad just like that.
I unplugged the battery for about 10 minutes then tried it again, finally sputtered (thinking the remnants of the starting fluid), tried it once more and she fired right up.
This time the fuel pump wasn't making that loud noise anymore either.

Drove it around with no issues.
Builds and holds boost, A/C still works, nothing abnormal going down the road.
Idle was a little high ~200rpm higher than normal.

Even after just plugging the battery back in my reader connected to the ECU immediately, before it just kept scanning.

·
Registered
556 Posts

My DIC is bad.

No, that doesn't narrow it down to the DIC. If you sprayed SF in and it ran, that means the DIC was working. The SF was acting as gasoline. Good luck. Hope it stays working.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts