SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive the rant, but I feel that I need to share my experience with BBA-reman. It wasn't good.

I recently purchased a 2001 Saab 9-5 that had a bad ABS module. I knew that going in and I had heard great things about BBA on here. First thing I did when I got the car was to call and see what I needed to do in order to get the ABS module fixed. The gentleman I spoke to was friendly and helpful and the next day I had removed the faulty part from my car (per the instructions on their website) and shipped it off. So far, so good.
The problem comes a few days later when a young lady calls me to tell me that my part can't be fixed. OK. I'm not happy, but I understand that somethings are beyond repair. She lays out my options for me which are: 1) Sending me back my broken part, or 2) Sell me a remanufactured part off the shelf for $450 + the core charge (which I would only get half of because my part was already known to be bad), and whatever fee I'd need to pay at my local Saab dealership to have it recoded so that it would communicate with my car. The total for option 2 would be $525+shipping. I was sure to clarify that with her. "$525+ shipping? Plus I have to get it recoded?"
"Yes."
This sounds like some kind of bait and switch tactic to me.
At this point, I'm furious and ask her to just ship me back my broken part. She cheerily says "And how would you like to pay for shipping?". I'm again not happy about having to pay return shipping when they failed to perform as advertised. I reluctantly give her my visa and then she proceeds to tell me that my total will be $50 for shipping and the "bench fee". WHAT? What is this "bench fee"? She tells me that my part was tested and that is what the bench fee is. Seriously? I send in a broken part that I've been assured can repair (the man I spoke with the first time I called said "Oh yeah. We've got the fix for that. We see it all the time. Its no problem"), and not only did they fail to repair it, but then charged me $50 for looking at it and sending it back to me, after I turned down the bait and switch. This is at best horrible customer service and at worst extremely questionable business practices.

I realize that many of you have used them with great results, I just felt the need to share my experience. It's really unfortunate. I've now been without my car for a week, and it has cost me almost $70 for absolutely nothing.

I emailed BBA with my issue, and I'll update this if and when I hear back from them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience with BBA. I've yet to deal with them, but as my ABS mod is bad, I'm sure I will at some point.

FYI: you can drive your car without the ABS module intact, you'll want to make sure you have something sealing the area, so any water or moisture can't get it. You won't have ABS brakes while it is out, but if your mod was bad to begin with, you were all ready driving without ABS.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience with BBA. I've yet to deal with them, but as my ABS mod is bad, I'm sure I will at some point.

FYI: you can drive your car without the ABS module intact, you'll want to make sure you have something sealing the area, so any water or moisture can't get it. You won't have ABS brakes while it is out, but if your mod was bad to begin with, you were all ready driving without ABS.

Two double posts in a row, this is out of hand. :) Actually this time, the site told me I must wait at least 60 seconds between posts and to try again in 45 seconds, so I did and it posted twice. It's just one of those days I guess.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

A quick update - Less than 8 hours after I sent the email to BBA-reman expressing my dissatisfaction, I received a call from their GM, Sean. I didn't have an opportunity to return his call last night and before I could get back to him, he called again this morning. Long story short, he apologized and explained that the first tech I spoke to had not told me about all the fees, nor the possibility that my part may not be able to be fixed. He did not offer me any kind of discount on a working part, but they did refund the "bench fee" and return shipping. I'm as satisfied as I can get without having my ABS fixed. I'm also impressed by the follow through by the GM and his efforts to make this right.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW - BBA-Reman may NOT be able to fix your ABS or other parts. You WILL have to pay for shipping both ways, as well as the $35 "bench fee" if they can't fix your part. Of course, they are going to use me as a "training opportunity" and hopefully you'll be told all of these things when you call. Hopefully.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had one repaired 2 years ago and they warned me that they might not be able to repair it. Sounds like you may have just gotten a tech on a bad day. Glad they stepped up.

I would source one out of another car someone is parting out and have it mated to your vehicle at the dealership.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'm as satisfied as I can get without having my ABS fixed. I'm also impressed by the follow through by the GM and his efforts to make this right.
Well done ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad they came up trumps i had the same a bad ABS mod but i bought one off ebay £35.00 posted and working been on for two weeks now fingers crossed it last for the rest of the life of there car but when i took the old one off it was one from a scrap yard so don't know how long they last

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Look for a fellow named, "Ivan" in the "parts for sale" of this forum, he may have the part you are looking for. He's a good guy, I've ordered parts from him with great results. I just used BBA Reman to rebuild my Alarm System Module. I won an EBAY auction for the service and even though my module had not failed, I've read that the batteries only last 5 to 6 years, so I pulled mine, cleaned it to spotless condition and sent it to BBA. They sent back a module that looked like it was pulled from a junk yard wreck, it had dirt caked on it and had spider webs in the speaker holes, plus it didn't look like it had been sealed with silicone properly. First, I emailed the CEO about my experience using the link at the back of the web site. Then I called customer service to talk about the quality. They tried to convince me to keep it, but I didn't feel good about putting the part back on my car, so I held steadfast about returning it. They caved in and payed for shipping back to them, then today, here's the email I received from them:

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know your part was returned to the workshop for the problem of the seal. I see why it came back and I apologize for that. The unit should have been sealed much better and we are sending you a replacement unit today that is up to standards. You will receive it back to your location tomorrow by UPS. If you have any questions, please call. For the most part, this replacement unit can just be reinstalled in the car without programming.

Thank you again and we appreciate your feedback. Feel free to either call myself or my manager Shawn in regards to this is you have any future concerns.

-Jenny

I think they have some quality and final inspection issues at the Maryland facility, but as you can see, they did the right thing by me, so I'm happy. Overall, I like what BBA is doing for those of us who are doing their own repairs, so I would definitely use them again.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
WHAT I'VE LEARNED THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW - BBA-Reman may NOT be able to fix your ABS or other parts. You WILL have to pay for shipping both ways, as well as the $35 "bench fee" if they can't fix your part. Of course, they are going to use me as a "training opportunity" and hopefully you'll be told all of these things when you call. Hopefully.
Well Duh, Remanufactured parts always have the issue that the core cannot be fixed. As you can see they are a really good company, and I am surprised they did not tell you that it may be broken in a way that can;t be fixed. And it should be on their website and adds as a disclaimer, I would tell them that

BUy a good used on and see what happens, you can always do it again with that unit if it goes and see if the new used one acn be fixed...

Good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had my alarm siren repaired by them but did not deal with them over the phone but the ebay auction did say that they charge a bench fee if it can't be fixed but shipping was free through the auction. It is good to hear that they handled it well and this thread reminds me that I still haven't reinstalled the siren (I have had it for like 3 months now :nono;).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a couple of items refurbished by BBA-Reman in Germany and was impressed by their quality, but my recent experience is unsatisfactory.

I sent them an SID1 and a climate control unit, both with bad pixels.
The SID1 was repaired and returned, albeit with a loose connection for the buttons back-lighting (which they'll repair FOC).

The climate control unit was returned as "unrepairable" with a €50 bench fee. (The repair quotation was around €140, no mention of a bench fee)
I sent it to a competitor, Tacho Berlin who a) fixed it and b) only charged €70 including shipping
BBA-Reman first claimed that Tacho Berlin had replaced it with an exchange unit (incorrect: I documented the serial number) and only intend to reimburse the €50 for their failed repair attempt if I provide them with the repaired unit for them to discover how it's done properly.
Opening the unit invalidates my 2 year warranty from Tacho Berlin and BBA-Reman isn't prepared to assume liability for damage or future pixel failures due to their inspection.

I'll challenge via PayPal, but not the best way to retain customers....

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've had a couple of items refurbished by BBA-Reman in Germany and was impressed by their quality, but my recent experience is unsatisfactory.

I sent them an SID1 and a climate control unit, both with bad pixels.
The SID1 was repaired and returned, albeit with a loose connection for the buttons back-lighting (which they'll repair FOC).

The climate control unit was returned as "unrepairable" with a €50 bench fee. (The repair quotation was around €140, no mention of a bench fee)
I sent it to a competitor, Tacho Berlin who a) fixed it and b) only charged €70 including shipping
BBA-Reman first claimed that Tacho Berlin had replaced it with an exchange unit (incorrect: I documented the serial number) and only intend to reimburse the €50 for their failed repair attempt if I provide them with the repaired unit for them to discover how it's done properly.
Opening the unit invalidates my 2 year warranty from Tacho Berlin and BBA-Reman isn't prepared to assume liability for damage or future pixel failures due to their inspection.

I'll challenge via PayPal, but not the best way to retain customers....
haha, they want to see how the work was done?

They should be paying YOU!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I need my alarm siren rebuilt as well, I have seen the ebay auctions, it's not terribly expensive but still waiting for some funds to free up.

I looked on their website and I don't even see an alarm siren service listed under SAAB.

I was just wondering, if anyone had dealt directly with them, versus using the ebay auction.

Sometimes by paying the lowest price you also get the lowest service?? Not sure just curious.

I do not wish to have an experience like photousa had, and I was concerned about the quick turn around time, the auction clearly states that they repair your unit and return the same unit to you, I kind of figured that wasn't the case, they must have a pile of working ones ready to go, and just grab one and return ship it as soon as they receive one.

I'm not aware that they have any other competition here in the States.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have used BBA and had good experiences with them.

But they do feel like a very big company.

A smaller company I now prefer is

Automotive Scientific Inc.
5168 Hwy 11W
Rogersville ,Tn. 37857
1-866-983-6688
http://www.autoecu.com

Very responsive and fast delivery with lifetime warranty. they have done ECU and Alarms and SID for me.

I have no connection with them, I just like their work and customer service. I highly recommend them as a very happy customer.

OR do an eBay search and you will come up with lots of choices for repair......I have only used BBA and ATE and had very good results.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I won one of their ebay auctions for like 60 bucks for my 9-3 acc unit.. Sent it in, said it wouldn't be fixed, shipped it back to me and refund my entire paypal payment. I never paid anything more than my initial paypal payment for winning the auction. No reship fee or bench fee. This was around 2-3 years ago. Guess I got lucky then

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
No problems when I sent them my SID sorry you didn't have the same great experience that I did

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So Far so good. I sent them my SID, it lasted a few months and I started to loose pixels again. They repair it again and all is good.

Alarm module was repaired about 4 yrs ago. It started acting up again. They e-mailed me a UPS slip, I packed it up. It has been repaired and is on its way back to me.

So far, so good. Let's see when it arrives and I install it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had a not-too-great experience with BBA as well. They returned my ABS module with "cannot repair" scrawled across it. My local Saab folks recommended I call up Xemodex, saying that they've often seen Xemodex repair modules that BBA rejected--said that they no longer dealt with BBA because they were unreliable. I took their advice, and sure enough, Xemodex came through.

Details:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273370

·
Registered
2 Posts
A lawyer friend puts BBA's arm-twisting in the coercion category. (Which it is: "Relinquish your 2 year warranty to let us find out where our skill sets are inadequate or we won't refund the €50 test fee we didn't mention up front" If they don't see sense, he'll drop them a line.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have used BBA and had good experiences with them.

But they do feel like a very big company.

A smaller company I now prefer is

Automotive Scientific Inc.
5168 Hwy 11W
Rogersville ,Tn. 37857
1-866-983-6688
http://www.autoecu.com

Very responsive and fast delivery with lifetime warranty. they have done ECU and Alarms and SID for me.

I have no connection with them, I just like their work and customer service. I highly recommend them as a very happy customer.

OR do an eBay search and you will come up with lots of choices for repair......I have only used BBA and ATE and had very good results.
Those guys did a great job with my alarm module two years ago. Guaranteed the work. No probs. Good price.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts