SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is showing some symptoms of a worn cv joint. Vibration at highway speeds, loud pop when reversing out of driveway, weird noise under heavy acceleration and of course a torn inner boot on the driver side. Has anyone replaced the entire axle and how long did it take? ('99 auto) I also have access to a lift. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Am looking at same issue. You might look on Youtube and query changing "drive axel". There are a number of videos regarding this. None on saab, that I saw but, it may help. I am now trying to discern the specifics for my 95. Good luck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So my car is showing some symptoms of a worn cv joint. Vibration at highway speeds, loud pop when reversing out of driveway, weird noise under heavy acceleration and of course a torn inner boot on the driver side. Has anyone replaced the entire axle and how long did it take? ('99 auto) I also have access to a lift. Thanks for the help.
Just did mine recently, real easy took only an hour or so. Used a slide hammer to pop it out because I couldn't pull it out. Also if replacing the axle seal you need to make a tool to install it. This is what I built:

I think it was 2" pvc pipe? Can't remember. But this is the only way to get the seal in without damaging it and leaking trans fluid

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes. And my light is back on.
I used a seal puller and just worked it out. You can pick one up at your local auto parts store. make sure if you replace the seal to build the tool otherwise you with destroy the new seal when you install it, and they are not cheap, ask me how I know. ;ol;

Also not sure what you mean by my light is back on?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear it's not that bad of a job. Were any other parts needed for the installation besides the seal and new axle?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Glad to hear it's not that bad of a job. Were any other parts needed for the installation besides the seal and new axle?
No, just top up the tranny fluid when you are done. Though its a good time to do a trans flush since you are already there.

Buy two seals in case you mess one up, if its a DD and needs to be on the road quickkly. And you can replace anything else that is bad two, ball joints etc.

BTW trans fluid will come out when you pop the cv off so make sure you have a pan under it. That stuff is nasty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts