SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scenario,

I get in my car this morning and start it up as usual.
I also had to turn on the rear defroster, no big deal.
I let it warm up for a few minutes and make my way out of the driveway to head for work. I notice about a mile into my drive the TCS OFF light was on, I look at the sid and there was no error. I push the TCS button but it does not turn off.
So I put in to the gas station, about 3 miles away from home now and stop the car and push the TCS again, nothing it still says TCS OFF.
So I turn off the car and wait a few seconds and turn it on again, the SID says checking then OK, so I start the car but it wont start. I can hear few off the relays an clicks and the car barely turns over, like the battery was almost dead.
SO I turn it off and wait a minute and try again, and the same thing happens.
Same symptoms as when you have a bad battery. So I get ready to call the tow company, a guy comes by to see if I need help. I explain to him what just happened and he says let me jump you and see if it will help. So we hook up the cables and BAM! started right up. No warning code from the SID, everything says OK, so now I am contemplating whether or not I should go to the garage or head to work and see what happens.

I get on the freeway and head for work, I will deal with this later in the day when the dealer is open. My commute is about 40 miles on the freeway to work, so when I arrive at work, I park in my space and turn off the car. I wait a minute and start the car to see if it will start, I turn the key, and it starts right up. I am miffed. What do you think? Bad battery, electrical ????????

Another question is, when I went to get a jump I notice the battery has a nipple on the side and it is hooked up to a black hose, what is that, a vent?
I have never seen that before on a battery, and if I buy a new battery and it doesn't have a fitting for the nipple and hose is that OK and do I just leave the hose and nipple dangling there next to the battery or do I need to get a special battery with a fitting for the hose and nipple.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It "looks" like a limp home condition (TCS off), but usually the car will drive very differently in limp home (weird idle RPM, stalling, throttle not smooth, etc.) and you didn't mention that at all. Did you car drive/feel different, once you got it started?

It could be the battery, but it could also be a weird symptom of the throttle body failing? Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

-seb

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Can't say i've noticed a nipple/hose on my battery. I'd take the car to a garage that sells batteries, they will be able to put a meter across the terminals to see its output. Have you checked the electrolyte levels to see if it needs a top up and recharge?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SHinZ said:
It "looks" like a limp home condition (TCS off), but usually the car will drive very differently in limp home (weird idle RPM, stalling, throttle not smooth, etc.) and you didn't mention that at all. Did you car drive/feel different, once you got it started?

It could be the battery, but it could also be a weird symptom of the throttle body failing? Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

-seb
No, it drove fine after the jump.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have the battery checked at lunch time.

It is the original battery.
I will ask the dealer about the battery hose thingy later when I call.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Maliberti

I’m probably late (as usual).

The little pipe is a breather, if the battery bubbles up when being charged or if it is overfilled the acid could bubble out onto your nice clean battery tray. The breather pipe will dump any excess somewhere safe!!

All electrics on SAAB’s are very sensitive, more so than on mainstream family cars, that’s a consequence of all the safety features and the advanced engine management!!!

First thing to check would be the electrolyte level (as said before).

Second- remove the battery connections, clean them – get rid of any powdery stuff and scale, put on some battery grease or Vaseline and replace the terminals.

If there’s still a problem, go to a garage and have the battery checked, (they will usually check the alternator at the same time).

HTH

Pete

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheked the battery with the motor off, it read 12, on the meter, the guy at my work said it should read 13.5 to14. +/_

Does the battery seem low at 12V ?

We checked it with the car running and it jumped and stayed at 14, so he said it's charging.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called the shop and they will put it on the scanner/computer tommrow to see why, it will take 1/2 hr and the cost will be $45-$50.

On a positive note, I have $100 deductable and just about everything is coverd under the extended warranty, except for the usual, tires,b-pads........

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is the update.

I went in and talked to the service guy.
I explained the story knew the problem .
He said I did not need to have it hooked up to the Tech II.
It was the original battery.(it was so clean I thought it was new) He said Saab made their own battery back in 99-2001. He said they were crap and did not hold up well. As far as the TCS OFF coming on, he said that is common on the 2001 9-5, or to see any other warning light come on due to the battery dieing.

He said if the TCS light came on again after I buy the new battery, he will to the diagnostic for free.

The nipple on the battery is the vent he said. But most modern day battery don't use that any more so the hose can be pulled off.

From the service guy:

If your battery is white with no labels and there is a nipple with a hose on the side it is a saab made battery and don't except to last as long as other manufactures.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sounds like good progress to me ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts