SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9-3 coupe and I want to take out the back seats. How do I do this?

Also how much do they weigh?? 20 pounds?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Seat Cushion, Rear seat

To remove

1 Tip up the seat cushions (both 60% and 40% sections)

2 Remove the circlips from the hinge pins,

3 Drive out the four pins from the hinges,

4 Lift out the seats.

Backrest, 40% Section

To remove

1 Detach the backrest from the seat-belt member and tip it forwards,

2 Undo the bracket at the hatch which opens into the luggage compartment,

3 Extract the backrest from the bracket at the hatch and withdraw the pivot pin at the wheel housing,

Backrest, 60 % Section

To remove

1 Remove the 40% section ~

2 Detach the backrest from the seat-belt member,

3 Tip the backrest forwards,

4 Remove the middle seat-belt anchorage to gain access to the right-hand backrest bracket,

5 Remove the backrest bracket to the right,

6 Extract the free end of the backrest and withdraw the pivot pin from the bracket at wheel housing,

7 Remove the fabric tensioner and lift out the backrest,

There pretty light, this is a one man job.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The seat cushion on a coupe is different.
If I remember correctly, there's a T25 torx screw at each end of the seat, facing the front of the car, then the thing will just lift out, but there are tabs or clips. I'm not exactly sure what to call them, but just give the seat cushion a few firm upward tugs and it should come out.

But as far as taking the rear seat out, why? So you save a couple of pounds? In all honesty the little amount of weight you're losing won't be enough to make any real change in acceleration. Any sort of change it does make will simply make the weight balance even more uneven, and since these cars are pretty nose heavy already, you'd really just be hurting the overall performance.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
But when 7 to 8 huge bags of leaves are hauled home during the fall, removing the 99% of the time un-used seats makes sense. A Saab (and VW) can be converted into a business coupe rather easily..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts