SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i believe i have some backfiring issues with my saab. mine is a 1986 with 210K miles. when i am decelerating in gear( engine breaking), my car backfires from 3K-2400 RPM's. i was wondering if there is anything i can do about it, of if i am just stuck with it.

i do not believe that the backfiring would necessarily hurt my engine. All i am concerned about is that the air would be going in both directions from the detonation, trying to force my turbo turbine backwords... :(

i also believe my syncro's are finally going. during some downshifts, especially 4th to 3rd, i grind my gears just a little bit. it is very annoying and it is realy concerning me now seeing it gets a little worse as time goes on. Wondering if people had similar problems, or if i just need to change my oil.

If oil change is my best bet, i was wondering where the plug might be, and the best oil to replace it with. thanks so much!

-c

·
Registered
824 Posts
the backfiring may be due to your ignition timing being too advanced. IIRC, my '87 9000 Turbo had the ignition timing at 15° BTDC, with vac line to distributor plugged off, and at idle.
as for the synchros - yep, they will wear out over time. and you can't replace the oil on an '86 gearbox, as there is no drain plug. there is a guide somewhere online showing how to drill and tap your own drain hole (did it to my '87)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts