SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had the itch, and needed to get more pricing info, so last night I got cleaned up and went to my local Saab dealer to look and drive. I have been having an excruceatingly hard time finding manual transmission equipped Arcs - but I have recently moved back home for the summer, and our retailer here had like 11 on the lot. After driving an Arc and getting some more incentive information ($4,000 off + GMS right now), I was talking to the consultant, and he threw me the keys to an Aero. Great car... I just don't think it meets my needs - I didn't like feeling the expansion joints and such on the highway. I'm hoping to pull all of this together before the end of August when I go back to school, but am running into the issue of no Arcs being equipped with Xenons around here. Apparently I am an uber picky customer because I have the exact car I want in mind and will not budge on it. The sales manager told me that I probably wouldn't find a Laser Red/Slate Arc 5mt with Xenons, heated seats, sunroof, and the driver's package anywhere in the US.

At any rate.. some notes regarding the cars.
Neither of them had locking fuel doors. Also, it seemed that someone had been toying with their settings as one of the cars gave no feedback on lock/unlock... the trunk button was inactive totally, and its doors unlocked with the key.
At any rate, my passion for one of these beasts is even more fueled. I can hardly wait!

~D.J.~

·
Registered
635 Posts
yeah, i originally wanted an arc on stick...they checked and said only 2 existed in california when i wanted to get it...and one was glacier blue, the other that bright red, both in north cal and had to be driven down...

so i said screw it and opted for the linear...its saving me money and i like it :)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Good for you! I'm glad you liked the drives. I didn't get the Aero for the same reason as you, and am very happy with my Arc.

Keep looking. If time is not a factor, order the exact car you want. If time is more of a factor, wait, and maybe ask other dealers if they can find your Dream Arc. They might be able to find it as things become available.
Or, do what I did & get Black :cheesy: .

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I just don't think it meets my needs - I didn't like feeling the expansion joints and such on the highway.
Oh, so you mean you didn't like the Aero's "sport" suspension and prefer the more "softer" ride of an Arc?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also wanted the car I had spec'd and would not budge. same options you want, but in silver. The dealership found only a couple in the US. it was the end of model year, but there were not many out there to start with. It was either ship from California to PA at $600, or agree to have them drive it a couple hundred miles from northern PA. They drove down. All is great. it took almost 2 weeks for them to find, and get the car for me.
glad I got what I wanted.:D

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
The beauty of European delivery is that it is a stop loss option. If you can't find the car with all the right options or if the dealer will not budge to a reasonable price, then you can fall back on European delivery.

Every day folks, not just those with immense wealth, can buy a car through European delivery. They say it's 9% off MSRP but for a Linear, it is actually 18% off because they do not charge the shipping charge of $720, options are slightly less, and they offer a $2000 rebate (called travel stipend). They offer 1 night free hotel and pick you up at the airport.

I saw a post in this board where someone picked up the car and must have driven it directly to the port because it only had about 50 miles on the car (distance from Trollhattan to Gothenburg). If so, their only cost would be airfare. I checked out airfare during the peak summer periods and you can fly for the mid $700's. In the winter, it's much cheaper. Some people have frequent flyer awards so the trip is free, except for security fees, etc ($50-80)

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Living here in France I do not have access to "European delivery". Despite that I have flown to to Sweden to pick up a car at Trollhaten..

Don't you have another advantage vis a vis taxes?

When you register your car in the US or Canada it's not a new car but used and consequently you must get a break somewhere.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JNGold said:
Oh, so you mean you didn't like the Aero's "sport" suspension and prefer the more "softer" ride of an Arc?
I found the Arc to be entertaining enough. I live in Northern Ohio 9 months of the year for school, where the roads are bad, very bad, and an Aero would kill me. I also like the catalogue bodykit and rear spoiler a bit better than the Aero package (Finklejag's car is amazingly hot hot HOT).. and I am not a huge fan of the twin 5 spoke wheels - so the only thing that would really tempt me to go to the Aero would be the seats.
The Linear, while nice, is out of the question, because I want ACC, SPA, Xenons, and the Infotainment system. I also drive 90% highway, and would rather have the added punch from a roll - I won't be getting much time for the turbo to lag. The Arc seems to be my bowl of porridge as it hits my blend of likes just right...

Ohh, and I forgot to post before - I saw several Aero models with sentronic, both sedan and convertible, with the shift buttons on the steering wheel - so maybe it is still available.

~D.J.~

·
Registered
130 Posts
JNGold said:
I was kicking myself until I put 17's and summer tires on my Arc. Best compromise and it even reduced the body roll, so I'm convinced the stock 16" tires are too soft. Dangles key in front of DJ.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
weiVA said:
I was kicking myself until I put 17's and summer tires on my Arc. Best compromise and it even reduced the body roll, so I'm convinced the stock 16" tires are too soft. Dangles key in front of DJ.
Wei, so help me God I will drive over there, snatch that key and take your sexy beast in for a Sentronic->5 speed swap and you will never see it again.
~D.J.~

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ohio9-3SSBoy said:
Wei, so help me God I will drive over there, snatch that key and take your sexy beast in for a Sentronic->5 speed swap and you will never see it again.
Lord knows that would finally get rid of the damn engine flaring. :roll:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmssaab said:
Can you break down the specifics on the incentives?Thanks.
Here ya go... I have the paperwork next to me for one of the cars on the lot that I drove... the Arc I drove that was black over slate with a sunroof, driver's package and heated seats.

$2,000 went for Alternative Merchandising (he said that they are all getting this... I am assuming it is a "lets get these things off of the lot" incentive)
$1,000 went for the Onstar Hot Button thing
$1,000 went for the national bonus cash offered on all 9-3s for this month.

All in all, the Arc I looked at that he got me this representative pricing off of (I told him he had no chance whatsoever in putting me in a car without Xenons, letalone a black car). The sticker on it was $34,890. The GMS price I was given was $31,625. Assuming the $4,000 being the only cash off (I put $10,000 down on my VUE and intend to put the same down, plus incentives on the 9-3), the total amount out the door with taxes was $30,193.
I know the 9-3 is selling well right now, but about how much does anyone think I might be able to bargain them down on their asking price?
~D.J.~

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ohio9-3SSBoy said:
Here ya go... I have the paperwork next to me for one of the cars on the lot that I drove... the Arc I drove that was black over slate with a sunroof, driver's package and heated seats.

$2,000 went for Alternative Merchandising (he said that they are all getting this... I am assuming it is a "lets get these things off of the lot" incentive)
$1,000 went for the Onstar Hot Button thing
$1,000 went for the national bonus cash offered on all 9-3s for this month.

All in all, the Arc I looked at that he got me this representative pricing off of (I told him he had no chance whatsoever in putting me in a car without Xenons, letalone a black car). The sticker on it was $34,890. The GMS price I was given was $31,625. Assuming the $4,000 being the only cash off (I put $10,000 down on my VUE and intend to put the same down, plus incentives on the 9-3), the total amount out the door with taxes was $30,193.
I know the 9-3 is selling well right now, but about how much does anyone think I might be able to bargain them down on their asking price?
~D.J.~

You can't....GMS price is GMS price (it's the same price at any dealer in the country), you can't get any better unless you are a GM Employee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts