SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It’s been about 5 years since I last had a 9-5. I’ve just bought a 2002 Aero Saloon, from a private sale.
I’m a little concerned over it, it was described as a good runner, no knocks or bangs and no warning lights.

I’ve just come from a 6yr old Peugeot 508 Hybrid to a 17yr old Aero which looks to have been sat for a while. It runs and drives, quick even by the 508 and older D5 V70 standards.

It’s rough running, feel as though flywheel is warped on clutch release, turbo sounds growly but turbo gauge doesn’t seems to get past the first needle width Into the red band, struggles to find 5th, front end seems low and I’ve got the Xenon warning light on the dash.

Previous owner states that the sump as been dropped and cleaned, this is evident due to recent gasket sealant around the sump joint. I’ve had it up on the ramp at work to have a good poke around. There’s a damp area around the gearbox seal, damp around the subframe where the power steering pipe runs and around what looks to be the pipes at the back of the oil filter housing.

Looking through the history there has been problem with the gear selector since 2014 struggling to get 5th.

The Xenon issue, both level sensors are present with no apparent damage to the arms or plugs, after a brief turn off onto side lights the Xenons were flashing for about 10secs, the bulbs are a shade of purple, so they look like their on last legs. There is record of the level sensors being replaced. Could dying bulbs cause the warning light on the dash? The lights do raise and lower on occasion when starting, even before driving 150 miles home along country roads with the lights in lowest position.

I’ve Serviced the car today, to see if that would curse the rough running but to no avail. The spark plugs were and are NGK ones, gapped to 1.0mm. When to oil was dropped there was a noticeable odour of fuel and a red/brown colour to the oil. Air Filter was like new. No idea when these were changed but the last noted Service was at 111k it’s now on 117k.

I’ve tried to put it on our scanner to see if any codes in the system but our Snap-On Solus Edge doesn’t communicate with the car, there’s no automatic option and the EOBD just states no codes present.

Anyone have any ideas? The other half reckons if we get 6months out of it it’ll be fine. I’m in the train of thought that I don’t want to throw masses amounts of money at it if it’s only going to last 12 months. (It also is going to need rear shocks and springs, possible trailing arm bushes, rear wheel bearing and possible driveshaft/CV joint as the noise doesn’t change pitch at speed.

Anyway, apologies for the essay.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Oh boy...

Okay, in order to read these cars properly, you need a Tech II with the Saab software to communicate with the electronics. The OBD reader will only work for basic "check engine light" situations, nothing else.

Yes, dying Xenon bulbs will trigger the leveler warning light. It's a general "anything wrong with the headlights it turns on" bulb.

I would remove the DIC (Ignition cassette) and see if it's labelled as SEM and look at the date code and revision letter. If it doesn't have a white bar code sticker that says "SEM", then you'll need to get a new DIC (Either OEM, or NGK since they're both made by SEM).

I can't help you regarding the transmission as I'm not knowledgeable enough on that aspect.

As for the car not getting to start of red on boost, check all the vacuum lines, charge pipe (part that connects to the throttle body), and Intercooler pipes.
If what you mean is that the needle just barely makes it into the red, that's normal at full boost.

I would check around the valve cover as well for any signs of oil (when was the last valve cover gasket done?).

I have a 2005, which is now sitting at just over 200,000 Miles (324,000 kms). It was a mess when I got it, but most issues were from lack of previous/preventative maintenance. I bought the car with 128,000 miles (205,000 kms) on it almost 3 years ago, so they can be extremely reliable/durable.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
A sensible first step is to check the condition of all engine mounts. That can account for both the roughness of clutch engagement and the problems finding fifth gear.

Nocturne is right, a Tech II would eliminate weeks of guessing and parts swapping with the HID lights, as well as any other issues the car might have. Although you could immediately pull out the bulbs (if someone hasn't installed LEDs) and check their make and condition. If you have a source of known good D1S bulbs, you could pop a pair in and see if things work better. By the way, does the light from the headlights drop right down after starup, or rise up to a reasonable level and stay there? If the former, there's still a level sensor/levelling issue; if the latter, the levelling is fine and the problem is elsewhere.

WIS and EPC are available for downloads here in the Tech II section of general Saab topics. And you can check for any Tech II close to you, although I imagine there are still UK shops with a Tech II.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front “torque” mount? I can move with my finger as the engine side bush is really worn. From the access I could get I tested the rear/vac mount, the wishbone (drivers - uk) mount feels secure.

I’m looking at the xenons this evening, now I’ve finished polishing the car to check the poor condition of the paintwork. (Looks like a child has had a go at it,to touch it up). Rest of the body doesn’t look bad for a 17yr old car, rust repair in the usual places (rear wheel arches).

I’ve had my mechanic oppo at work take it out this morning, his opinion is that’s it’s even worse (but he is a Ford guy). He reckons the flywheel is warped, clutch is slipping, even though I put it into 4th and tried to pull away and it stalled straight away. The turbo isn’t boosting as he reckons it should for 250bhp. 3rd gear 50 to 80 is rather quick though.

The DIC is a SEM TK3.7 D, 1203, G461317. No corrosion on the pins, a little bit of what’s looks to white, (wax) possibly from the Spark plugs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the vac pipes (4mm) look and feel weak under pressure, so I’ve bought some 4mm hose as I’ve done before with the other 3 9-5’s to replace.

I’ve got 3mtrs of 4mm Gates multi fuel hosing.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the vac pipes (4mm) look and feel weak under pressure, so I’ve bought some 4mm hose as I’ve done before with the other 3 9-5’s to replace.

I’ve got 3mtrs of 4mm Gates multi fuel hosing.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I've never heard of a flywheel warping. Not to say it can't happen, but....

Put and ODB II reader on the car and see if there are any codes. If the turbo needle refuses to go more than a tiny bit into the orange zone, then the system is limiting you to base boost for some reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts