SaabCentral Forums banner

B284L 2.8 V6 - #6 Coil Location (misfire)

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  cloves 
#1 · (Edited)
B284L 2.8 V6 - Multiple Misfire Codes - Changed 2 Coils - Didn't Fix Issue

Hi all,

I am getting a misfire from my cylinder 6. Looking at the WIS pretty sure that is in the front right (driver side). Can someone confirm this? I just saw someone on the forums say its in the back which somewhat confused me. I just changed the one in the front and my misfire is still misfiring which got me worried wis or my reading of it is wrong.

UPDATE: So I changed both #5 and #6 Coils (Since I picked up 2 just in case), problem didn't go away. I am getting multiple misfires and the engine was running terrible during the test. Car has about 82k on the meter. I changed the plugs a in February because I was occasionally not long after startup the car would hesitate when I was accelerating from a dead stop. The issue somewhat disappeared for the last few months and now I have the misfire issue. Maybe the plugs were not the issue originally. The car did have its #5 coil replaced with a non Bosch one so I figured it might be the issue. But as stated #5 and #6 are both new coils. Still showing misfires in those cylinders. :(

Text Technical drawing Line art Design Diagram

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, right next to the turbo. Great spot for a coil pack...

#5 ·
I updated the thread, misfires continue after coil #5 and #6 replaced. Car is running terrible now.

I took a look at the fuel injector area, this looks a bit odd.

View attachment 252116
What gap are you running on the plugs?

#7 ·
New Coils All Around - Misfires Two Days Later

Hi all, :cry:

So I ended up replacing all the coils with new Bosch ones. Replaced all the plugs in Feb with NGK 1959 {#PLFR6C10G} gapped at 0.040 (@Joshinator99) (sticker on the cars front says to gap them at 0.035 - 0.039 so I figured 0.040 would be ok.

Car worked great for 2 days and today again while on the highway I started getting misfires. So plugs, battery, and coils are all new.

@diggs I guess I should check to see what my fuel pressure is at this point. I don't think I can do that with the tech 2 and I have to use a fuel gauge right?

#12 ·
This. Brian at VTuner had me running 0.80mm (~.0315”) on my ‘11 9-5 Aero plug gap and that worked mint.

#15 ·
Using the tech2 and the fuel pump diagnostic test which is a series of pulses and then you check your fuel pressure gauge everything with the fuel pump checked out.

I have not checked the fuel injectors, being that the back injectors are under the intake not sure how I would be able to test that. I will dig into the wis. Being that I am seeing multiple misfires in two cylinders then the rest, I am thinking its further up then the injectors but thats just me thinking out loud.

#14 ·
hey guys so i pulled all my plugs and i actually had them gapped at 0.036 which is well within the low end of the spec. after installing everything car started fine and no misfires. but that is exactly what happened last time. i have been reading in a Facebook group how i could be having issues at the wiring harness for the injectors. this puts me in a bind now because the last time i started getting misfires was on the highway and i drove the car below 50 to get home tried to avoid the highway all together. But seeing as the misfires went away after checking the gap on the plugs still at a loss to what's causing the issue

#19 ·
Most of the wires under the engine bay will be like that, that engine bay puts out a ton of heat because of the tight engine bay and turbo. I am going to be moving my battery to the rear trunk soon to prevent that from getting heat soaked and killing my battery.

Do take some photos of wires and share. My 07 only has 89k btw. I rewrapped all my wiring harness off the injectors with new heat blocking tape and plastic looms btw. Should further help the wires from not getting worse with age and time.

There are two groups on fb the 2.8 alliance and 2.8 alliance. One of the admins of the group is a real jerk, he was an admin of the original and he had some flair up with someone and one day deleted a ton of valuable threads behind the other admins backs. Then he went and started another group. The problem with facebook is just that, 1 person can destroy a ton of knowledge, I always try and come back to saab central and share what I learn.

#21 ·
Looks like you got some burning happening on one of those female contacts. Check the male injector side. That could be the problem. They sell these metal thin male ends to clean the female insertion portion of the plug. But you need to check to see what is causing that burn, if that's what it is. THe tool is called a terminal cleaner its a sharp file u carefully put into the female to clean surface corrosion you wont see.

Reactions: Liamsammon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.