SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone,

This would be my first post here for help. I have a 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero with about 84k miles on it. I bought it used and it ended up having oil starvation issues and the engine is now dead... :cry: I absolutely LOVE this car and am looking forward to learning and understanding how to actually care for it properly.

Anyway, to the situation. I've been doing a whole lot of reading all over the place on how engine swaps work and the types of engines and all the various changes throughout the years and how it all comes into play with everything. To my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, my Aero has the B235r engine in it and that engine has the Mitsubishi TD04 HL15t turbo on it along with all the other "Aero" goodies. What I've also seemingly discovered is that post 2k the only real differences between Linear and Aero [engine-wise] is the turbo and ecu tuning.

So herein lies my question. Can I put a post 2k B235e engine [since they are substantially less expensive] in my 2003 9-5 Aero and just re-attach the Mitsu turbo and keep the current ecu with no [or minimal] difficulty, or is this a big "no-no"?

I greatly appreciate your help! Let me know if there is any information missing that would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
That swap should work just fine. As far as I know the engines are identical except for the turbo and associated oil/coolant lines. The current ECU will play nice with that setup. Sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You can and folks have and it usually works. The engines are not quite identical, the Aero gets upgraded exhaust valves for sure and possibly other minor changes. If it were me I'd freshen up the used B235e you intend to install and swap over the Aero head if it's in ok condition, if it isn't I'd just swap the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I did it, car runs fine

I did freshen up the B235e, got it from a junkyard. new gaskets/seals, new timing chain/guides, new main/rod bearings and of course the Mitsubishi turbo.

Didn't go for changing the valves, there are so many people around here who have used the Mitsubishi turbo with Aero (and more) tunes that I didn't think it was necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all the answers! I know the thread is dead now, but I'm just returning to my log in because I actually had a reason to post. Anyway, I didn't end up pursuing the B235e in the Aero. Just a bit too much work at the time and so I ended up selling it back then. I do now have a 2008 Saab 9-5 SportCombi Aero. Love Love Love Love it!!!! Anyway, thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts