SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 9-5 2.3t
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2000 9-5 2.3t. I bought it as a cheap beater, not realizing the potential the 2.3's have (I grew up around 900's. I don't know much about G.M. saabs) Eventually I would like to start builing it. I just wanted some opinions on weather I would be better off working with the 235 that it came with or if I should find a 234 to build. Also suggestions for performance mods would be appreciated. Like I said, I'm new to 9-3's/9-5's. Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
The B234 is supposed to be a more stout design than the B235.

That being said, I think it would be an extreme project to build anything other than a T7 9-5. The components are highly integrated. That means adapting T7 sensors and accessories to a 9000's T5 2.3. That's potentially open-ended. Someone may have done that, but I don't know how many have.

There are known recipes for upgrading a T7 engine. After a certain point, you're into pistons and rings. But I think it would be much more straightforward and understood.

·
Registered
2000 9-5 2.3t
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The B234 is supposed to be a more stout design than the B235.

That being said, I think it would be an extreme project to build anything other than a T7 9-5. The components are highly integrated. That means adapting T7 sensors and accessories to a 9000's T5 2.3. That's potentially open-ended. Someone may have done that, but I don't know how many have.

There are known recipes for upgrading a T7 engine. After a certain point, you're into pistons and rings. But I think it would be much more straightforward and understood.
That makes a lot of sense. Why re-invent the wheel right? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is not correct. The blocks are essentially identical as are the cranks. The main geometric difference is that the b234 pistons have a lower journal position and the connecting rods are shorter. You can build a b234 and put it into a b235 but you have to swap some b235 engine components to the b234 to get it to bolt up correctly in the 9-5. You need the timing cover with oil pump from the b235. This has been discussed at length in other threads. An alternative is to take b234 rods and pistons and put them into the b235 block. The b234 pistons are on average stronger than the b235 pistons, meaning you're less likely to shatter/crack a b234 piston than you will a b235 piston; for this reason the b234 pistons are known to handle large HP better than the b235 pistons. So, it can be done and has been done by many. You don't use anything that is T5 so there is no re-inventing of any proverbial wheel.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Swapping the short block or the whole engine?

I assume you're starting with a B234 T5 out of a 9000. Will all the 9-5 accessories and sensors bolt up?

I would think that you'd only swap the short block, to keep the T7 intake and throttle body. Will the 9-5's accessories bolt up to the 9000 short block?

I still am under the impression that the way to tune the 9-5 2.3 is to put in forged pistons once you get past 300 HP (along with all the other Stage 1, 2 mods).

The 2.3 crank seems to be the same across B234i, and the different flavours of B235 right through to 2009. So it's only the rods and pistons. I don't think there are issues with the 2.3 blocks used in the 9-5s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts