SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Is that the factory belt routing for a 9k engine??

That's an awful long distance for the belt to travel without an idler pulley.
There's an idler between the alternator and the power steering. Also on the tensioner bracket

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Interesting. If I was designing that serpentine routing from scratch I would have thought you'd need an idler between the ac compressor and alternator pulleys. If it's good enough for the Saab engineers, it's good enough for me!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Interesting. If I was designing that serpentine routing from scratch I would have thought you'd need an idler between the ac compressor and alternator pulleys. If it's good enough for the Saab engineers, it's good enough for me!
Works just fine, I have owned 7 Saabs, most with this configuration.
No real issue except tensioner pulley failure on a 96 NG 900s.

Current DD is 93 9000 CSI 362,000km.

Great project, love seeing these engines used in other applications.
Great engines, and so easy to "tune" and get so much more from if you want to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sell me your trans!

Hi All,

I haven't posted on here since I had a saab 9000 years ago...

Well I'm back because I have a Saab B234 turbo engine I'm getting ready to build an off-road buggy with. Picked up a 1996 9000 CSE today for $200 - engine and transmission are mint - the rest of the car is junk. Only 114k miles on it.

This is also my first time ever doing anything like this... so bare with me.

Transmission Option 1
So this is the normal route to go
  • 82 - 86 Jeep CJ-7's came with T5 transmissions
  • This bellhousing kit adapts the saab to the T5 transmission LINK
Finding a CJ between these years is tricky - but I'm also hunting for just the T5 and transfer case individually and doing a custom rig.

Transmission Option 2
Can I weld the diff on the Saab Automatic ZF unit, cut the passengers side shaft, and somehow marry the output of the drivers side shaft to the transfer case? (The engine would be longitudinally mounted in my rig)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nice Saab you have there.

My griffin is more than FPT.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
A late model 9000 Aero?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have my drivetrain all pieced together now.

1995 Saab 9000 engine.
1991 Chevy S-10 T5 transmission
Bellhousing from RWD Motorsport in the UK
Special pilot (spigot) bearing from RWD Motorspot
Release bearing from RWD Motorsport
mk1 Ford RS2000 clutch fork, found new OE part on ebay

This combination uses the stock Saab 9000 flywheel and pressure plate. Then I took the Saab clutch disc to Proven Force and they just modified the clutch disc for the input shaft on the T5.

And this setup also uses a cable clutch. No need to find clutch master and slave cylinders.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I love it! Saab should have done it,,,, and that boat wow. Back in the day we 2-327 chevs in a salt water boat . the salt water ate the water pumps and it took us a while to figure out why it would not cool.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nice work. I plan on doing something similar but I want something a little sportier.
Or maybe an early 93 Viggen, or Viggen replica (NG900 shape) maybe around 2003, or something before they changed to the later 93 shape.
That could be real smart, An FPT in one of those, with nothing more than some special rims, would be a good sleeper.

Fellow road users wouldn't believe how you could do it!

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey, so life got in the way of this project for a bit :lol::lol:

I quit my job to focus on building an app for 2 years and then ran out of money and had to start another business to continue funding the app. And now I'm dedicating about 1 day a week to this because its fun and keeps me sane and I have a little bit more money to throw at it. Working with hardware is a great way to refresh the brain after staring at code all week.

So to answer some questions that came up in the thread, and that I got PM'd

• Spigot bearing came from rwd motorsport
  • Throwout bearing and fork came from the existing transmission.
  • I am building a bracket to adapt a hydraulic clutch linkage to pivot the clutch fork (I have read the hydraulic throwout bearings are very unreliable)
  • I got my pressure plate and flywheel (to replace the flexplate) from a MT B234 from a local saab mechanic / junkyard
  • Clutch disc came from Crown Automotive, basically picked based on the spline count of the T5 transmission, and the diameter of the pressure plate. Found one that worked perfect made by Crown for only $65. The search feature of summit racing is really helpful for finding stuff like this, and ultimately found the clutch for sale on amazon prime: https://amzn.to/2M3VyBs

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now for an actual update on progress.

The fuel system was the next step
I took the tank and fuel lines out of the saab and lined them up along the Jeep frame. The tank definitely will not fit within the frame rails which sucks. Fuel lines look very re-usable.

So I ordered a new poly CJ5 tank and fuel sender, and then modified the fuel sender to attach the OEM saab fuel pump to the pickup tube. I very much prefer an in-tank pump (noise, leaks, reliability offroad, etc.). I used water tight cable gland, plus a lot of permatex fuel safe gasket maker to seal it up.

Then I hooked up the the sender to a high pressure rubber fuel line, to a check valve, then to the stock poly flexible line portion (warming the check valve barb allowed it to slide into the poly line, though with considerable effort. Glad I was able to re-use the fuel lines and didn't have to build new metal ones from scratch.

I am now in the midst of removing the wiring harness from the SAAB, and attempting to do so in 1 giant piece.

Eventually I'll remove everything not related to the engine / fuel / etc.. But I want to hook it up and get it running before that to lessen the potential troubleshooting of things I don't realize are connected and can prevent the engine from starting.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts