SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m replacing bad valves on my 2007 9-3 2.0T auto By swapping heads. The part I’m stuck on is I might have missed a step from the WIS, the picture attached: zero the crankshaft by turning clockwise(I didn’t do this). So I have the chain, tensioner, sprockets and cams off. I have the right cam lock tools but I didn’t put them on yet. So did I throw off timing by not putting the cam locks on before taking off The chain tensioner and sprockets? The lobes of the cams were already pointed up like in the WIS when I took off everything. And my pistons are all Lowered and they are all even with each other with the head off. Is that normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
so if ur new head is already on, the safest way is to remove camshafts, rotate the crankshaft until it hits the timing mark, install the camshaft where the E1 lope point generally toward 2 clock, and the I1 lope 10 clock, install the locking tool, install sprockets and timing chain

·
Registered
2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Cabrio
30 Posts
Anything's possible. If you've already gone through your torque sequence for the head bolts (these are torque-to-yield bolts, non-reusable), your best best is to remove the cams from the head and manually align the three timing marks, then lock everything down while you install the chain, guides, and tensioners.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if ur new head is already on, the safest way is to remove camshafts, rotate the crankshaft until it hits the timing mark, install the camshaft where the E1 lope point generally toward 2 clock, and the I1 lope 10 clock, install the locking tool, install sprockets and timing chain
The head is not on(picture attached)
I also didn’t zip tie the chain to anything, I left the sprockets on the cams as well...
Will I have to check the chain/lower sprocket next?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Well then its easy, turn the crank until the marks are aligned, install the cam locking tool into the head then install the head, sprockets dont have a specific position or marks .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only mark on the crank pulley I see is a number “2” Which is pointed down and 7403 then maybe a part number. But I just rotated the crank until cyl 1 and 4 Pistons are up. One red link is showing(in the middle) On the chain when I pull it up to fit sprockets. Should that be okay?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The mark is on the crank pulley not sprocket, its a small notch at the rear outer side of the pulley and it matches a small line on the timing cover located at 10 clock (so pulley and cover need to be installed).
Any other setup can make u one tooth off and the engine wont run .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mark is on the crank pulley not sprocket, its a small notch at the rear outer side of the pulley and it matches a small line on the timing cover located at 10 clock (so pulley and cover need to be installed).
Any other setup can make u one tooth off and the engine wont run .
View attachment 276172
Is that with the timing cover off? There’s no mark on my pulley to match up anything just some numbers. I see the mark on the block though. Is that mark on the pulley towards the inside and not the edge of the pulley?
I only see 2 red chain links and 1 green link on the chain
Ohhh the notch is the closest side to the timing cover huh...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yes the mark on the pulley toward the engine side (inner side) a very small notch, if ur pulley is dirty u might have to clean it.
The other mark is on the cover (with the cover On)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This photo is from top, probably with the engine mount off.
View attachment 276174
okay awesome I found everything, all lined up. Is it okay that the timing chain is pretty tight(Not much play) with the sprockets under the chain and cams already tightened? Then pur the tensioner in?
And doesn’t the tensioner have to be compressed in before I screw it in? Or left popped out, thanks

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
There must be some play in the chain towards the back of the engine where the tensioner go in, make sure the chain didnt depart the crank sprocket .
U will need to deactivate the tensioner before u install it, there is two style of tensioners each is deactivated differently, after u install it u will have to tap at its front to get it popped out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a valve job on my 04 9-3 Arc the timing chain and sprockets were easy once I got the correct cam locking tool. It was so easy I was over thinking it that's why it was a little difficult. I'm a mechanic and have done many cylinder heads with timing chains but this one was way easier than I thought.
Also I have the tool for b207r and b207l if you need it email me if you want [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts