SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Can the cylinder head bolts on the 9-3SS B207R be retorqued in a similar fashion to the og9-3/9-5 motors? If so, what is the procedure and torque specs? I could not find anything in the SAAB WIS or in the SaabCentral archives. My coolant system pressurized and puked out all of the coolant during a WOT pull. I've replaced the reservoir cap and am going to do the thermostat next, but figured since my car needs a valve cover gasket anyways, might as well retorque the head bolts while I'm there and hopefully not have to swap the headgasket. Any pointers are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Definitely in WIS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those torque/angle specs are used when fitting new bolts, not retorquing the bolts that are already fastened. Does that mean new bolts are required?

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Those torque/angle specs are used when fitting new bolts, not retorquing the bolts that are already fastened. Does that mean new bolts are required?
It doesn't mention new bolts required so I don't think they're torque-to-yield bolts like the camshaft bolts are. I would just use that as a general guide for re-torquing to the proper values.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
The service bulletin for the B2x5 engines is to remedy (mostly?) external leakage of coolant and oil. And I am not sure if there has been a lot of success in the forums for fixing a head gasket with internal issues by retorquing--the kinds of issues that lead to exhaust gas in the coolant system.

There are actually too many service bulletins for a 2004 9-3 for me to read through. I would look through to see if there's any such retorque procedure in one of those. In any case, I suspect that retorquing does not apply to B207, and on the B2x5 it doesn't fix that kind of head gasket issue anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey everyone,

Can the cylinder head bolts on the 9-3SS B207R be retorqued in a similar fashion to the og9-3/9-5 motors? If so, what is the procedure and torque specs? I could not find anything in the SAAB WIS or in the SaabCentral archives. My coolant system pressurized and puked out all of the coolant during a WOT pull. I've replaced the reservoir cap and am going to do the thermostat next, but figured since my car needs a valve cover gasket anyways, might as well retorque the head bolts while I'm there and hopefully not have to swap the headgasket. Any pointers are appreciated.
Have you confirmed that you have a blown head gasket? You can do a chemical test from the radiator vapors.
Secondly, retorque-ing head bolts is not really a fix. Especially if its not in the manual.
By the book, Those are probably Non reusable head bolts and now you’re messing with the clamping pressure . Are you gonna take em all the way out first? Then chase the threads? Sounds like all sorts of a bad idea.
The real fix for a blown head gasket is a new head gasket on a certified flat head and block surface.
Other fixes are band aids.
Just sayin, and good luck👍

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Have you confirmed that you have a blown head gasket? You can do a chemical test from the radiator vapors.
Secondly, retorque-ing head bolts is not really a fix. Especially if its not in the manual.
By the book, Those are probably Non reusable head bolts and now you’re messing with the clamping pressure . Are you gonna take em all the way out first? Then chase the threads? Sounds like all sorts of a bad idea.
The real fix for a blown head gasket is a new head gasket on a certified flat head and block surface.
Other fixes are band aids.
Just sayin, and good luck👍
Official service manual doesn't mention the head bolts as torque-to-yield bolts so I don't think there's a need to replace them.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
They are actually TTY (that doesnt mean ice never re-used them) , and no procedure to re-torque them nor ive ever seen it an issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
They are actually TTY (that doesnt mean ice never re-used them) , and no procedure to re-torque them nor ive ever seen it an issue.
Where does it say that in WIS?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
It doesnt .. but WIS have many omitted/incorrect info .. Ive done my homeworks long time ago to know that

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
It doesnt .. but WIS have many omitted/incorrect info .. Ive done my homeworks long time ago to know that
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that. Seems like a rather important bit of information especially when other procedures instruct you to replace torque to yield bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts