SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
look quickhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Ignition-Spark-Coils-Pack-For-Saab-9-3-9-3X-2-0L-12787707-H6T60271-UF526-/262700008726?hash=item3d2a240516:g:TaMAAOSwGIRXZKsk&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well the pictures look promising, as you what you eventually get is anyone's guess. Probably worth a punt though as that is super cheap.

·
Registered
916 Posts
From the link...

Shipping: $1.00 ePacket delivery from China | See details
See details about international shipping here.

Item location:
Guangzhou, China

These are most likely knock-off coils that will only cause problems and/or not work. Unless you're comfortable tossing $72 for the cause, I would stick to genuine Mitsubishi/Saab coils from a Saab parts site or local parts store.

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as i know the chance of getting the working ones is about 50/50 i think these might be worth a shot. somebody be the guinea pig.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
I agree but in reality the authentic ones are probably made in China anyway...
Even assuming that authentic Mitsubishi/SAAB coils are manufactured in China (they are not), the Mitsubishi manufacturing processes are controlled by Mitsubishi, regardless of the location of manufacture. Knock-off or counterfeit coils are not subject to the same manufacturing standards and QC as those manufactured by Mitsubishi, which is why the knock-off and counterfeit coils either fail immediately or fail to work at all.

In general most multinational corporations have manufacturing facilities in China. As countries develop, labor costs rise. Corporations therefore move their manufacturing from country to country looking for the cheapest labor pool. China is the world's largest developing economy with extremely competitive labor costs. What matters most is the brand recognition and reputation of the company that is manufacturing there. If it is a company that has worked long and hard to establish a reputation for quality and value, that company will not manufacture substandard components simply because the country of origin is China. It will implement and enforce its company-wide quality control practices.

Chinese manufacturers of coils that are intended to be passed off as genuine (which therefore bear counterfeit trademarks and trade names) are counterfeits. Then there are the coils made by Chinese companies which are marketed as compatible with SAAB but which do not bear misappropriated trademarks and names, which are simply cheap coils. Both types of these non-Mitsubishi Chinese made coils suffer from the same problem - the use of substandard components and the lack of rigorous QC. They cost so little because they were made from cheap and shoddy parts using ill-trained labor without quality oversight.

·
Super Moderator
8,877 Posts
the 4 digits don't mean anything per se..just looked on bay of the e and all the coils I looked at had a different 4 digit code..

Also the coils have a knock sensor built into them aswell..

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
How do you know you're in the real SaabCentral forum ? We could all be knock-offs here.

And check this out ..... some local wonker is trying to sell this Saab 3-9. Yeah, we're smarter than that .....

#AlternativeFacts ;):eek:

·
Super Moderator
19,959 Posts
It's not even that they are fake. I have a fake tech2 from China. Works fine. It's that they didn't bother to integrate the knock module, thus they don't function properly. So they aren't right for our application. I bet they work fine for a Chevy Cobalt.

·
Registered
916 Posts
For what it's worth, my autozone/duralast (legit) coils say made in Japan on the box.
Same here. And $74.99/coil with a 20% off coupon. Hard to beat for the real thing.

It's not even that they are fake. I have a fake tech2 from China. Works fine. It's that they didn't bother to integrate the knock module, thus they don't function properly. So they aren't right for our application. I bet they work fine for a Chevy Cobalt.
+1

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
Also the coils have a knock sensor built into them aswell..
I have seen that mentioned here often. But my understanding has always been that it is the spark plugs in conjunction with the coils and other associated electronics that provide the knock signal. In T5 and 7 those electronics were housed in the DIC. Since T8 uses 4 separate coils, SAAB utilized a separate Combustion Detection Module (aka the Ionization Detection Module) to process the information gathered by the spark plugs during the time that the (continuous) 120 volt bias voltage is occurring immediately following combustion in the applicable cylinder. That signal, being the result of information obtained by the lack of a detected ionization current (a misfire) or by the presence of an ionization current (indicating combustion occurred), must be further processed to determine whether the combustion was within normal limits or was outside those limits (knock).

WIS states that "T8 does not have a conventional knock sensor and instead uses the spark plugs as sensors for ionization current measurement." WIS further states "[t]he ignition coils of the respective cylinders generate an ionization voltage, measure the ionization current and send the results to CDM for initial processing of the ionization signal from the respective ignition coil. CDM generates a knock signal from the ionization information from the four cylinders and the signal is used by the ECM to determine whether the engine is knocking. Once the spark has ignited, ECM will "listen" to the knock signal of each cylinder for a specific number of crankshaft degrees, a so-called window." The CDM is thus connected to the ignition trigger lines to provide a synchronizing pulse for processing the ionization current signal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread, but I ordered the Duralast coils from Autozone and received 2 in the "Made in Japan" box, and 1 in a "Made in China" box. Haven't tested them out yet - but just wanted to mention that there's no guarantee you'll receive the "Made in Japan" coils if you order the c1430 Duralast coils from Autozone.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Even assuming that authentic Mitsubishi/SAAB coils are manufactured in China (they are not), the Mitsubishi manufacturing processes are controlled by Mitsubishi, regardless of the location of manufacture. Knock-off or counterfeit coils are not subject to the same manufacturing standards and QC as those manufactured by Mitsubishi, which is why the knock-off and counterfeit coils either fail immediately or fail to work at all.

In general most multinational corporations have manufacturing facilities in China. As countries develop, labor costs rise. Corporations therefore move their manufacturing from country to country looking for the cheapest labor pool. China is the world's largest developing economy with extremely competitive labor costs. What matters most is the brand recognition and reputation of the company that is manufacturing there. If it is a company that has worked long and hard to establish a reputation for quality and value, that company will not manufacture substandard components simply because the country of origin is China. It will implement and enforce its company-wide quality control practices.

Chinese manufacturers of coils that are intended to be passed off as genuine (which therefore bear counterfeit trademarks and trade names) are counterfeits. Then there are the coils made by Chinese companies which are marketed as compatible with SAAB but which do not bear misappropriated trademarks and names, which are simply cheap coils. Both types of these non-Mitsubishi Chinese made coils suffer from the same problem - the use of substandard components and the lack of rigorous QC. They cost so little because they were made from cheap and shoddy parts using ill-trained labor without quality oversight.
Exactly. I replace the cheap ZZP coils on 2.0 ecotecs often. They are colored resale red. Kids love them until the fail ( early) The OEM stuff on the 2.0 lasts a very long time. I have never changed my 2.0 coils (85,000 miles) The 2.3 litre motors is different and the DIC is well named, it goes soft all the time....I am on DIC #3.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread, but I ordered the Duralast coils from Autozone and received 2 in the "Made in Japan" box, and 1 in a "Made in China" box. Haven't tested them out yet - but just wanted to mention that there's no guarantee you'll receive the "Made in Japan" coils if you order the c1430 Duralast coils from Autozone.
I would not even use the Chinese made one. Just try to exchange it for another and hope you get a real one.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts