SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 9-3 SE bought 4 mos ago from a saab tech who intended to resurrect an overheated engine that had "spun a bearing". Upon disassembly he discovered the block could not be used so he found another block with approx same mileage on it (135k-140k). Head was sent off to correct warpage (among other things supposedly). He put new oem rings on pistons and reassembled. New main seals. new this new that. In connection w/ purchase he agreed to provide 6 mos drivetrain labor for free. After purchase discovered motor really sucked oil esp on interstate trips.Like about a qt after 2-3 hrs at interstate speed. Never noticed smoking. Does not leak a drop. The tech has done the following: replaced PCV system; replaced the turbo; replaced valve stem seals (there was visual evidence upon head removal that oil was being sucked down into one cylinder). We really thought new seals would fix it but sadly it has not. Removing the head for the valve seals job also resulted in a broken timing chain guide so the poor guy somehow got the timing cover off w/o moving the motor and replaced the guides. Since then there's a new slight geary sounding whire fom the chain side and there's much more of a motor vibration especially under load and at highr rpm's. Also mpg has gone down apprx 5 mpg. So I'm thinking the vibration and decreased mpg means the timing may be slightly off? After timing guides fiasco he reassembled and checked the timing marks. He said everything spot on. But car ran rough when we started it and would die. So he advanced the timing. It now runs smooth enough at low rpm's but not so much when you step on it. I would really appreciate input from the forum as to where to go now. Anywhere? Live with it? What am I missing? Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts