SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all !

can anyone shed some light on which is correct turbo oil return gasket to use?

Im about to refurb my turbo with new CHRA and ordered a new fitting kit from Parts for saab- the kit came with a metal gasket for the oil return tube joint at turbo but when stripping down the turbo the old gasket appears to be a fibre (or similar) one?

which is the correct one?
just want to be sure to avoid doing the job twice

car is MY 2001 9-3 lpt B205E - The oil return to sump is hose type with clamps- not the metal tube kind

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I would think metal is better if it's the right dimensions. Pretty hot down there. The metal pipe vs. the fitting with pipe doesn't matter... I've seen the same model TD04's with either. I think the metal pipe was a later change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

ill go with the metal one as you suggest as the fibre type one that was on turbo return just fell apart when i tried to remove it
just wanted a knowlegable opinion on it first!

many thanks!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
just wanted a knowlegable opinion on it first!
Well, my opinion is a general observation more than "knowledgeable". Maybe someone else knows more about metal gaskets sealing against oil flow. But, they handle exhaust gases under some significant pressure without difficulty. I wold think they'd handle the low pressure oil return.

Maybe someone who knows more about gasket types can comment...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I've always used the fiber ones on the turbo's oil drain, but then I've never seen the metal one, either. I've never had any problems with leaks from the fiber gaskets, and they're cheap to replace in the rare instance I've had to take the drain off.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I think it's my XR4Ti that supplies a squishy composite metal gasket for the drain, but I'm not sure. I generally see the Saab thin paper/fiber gasket and I have never had an issue there. There is (MUST BE) no pressure in the drain, so as long as there is some sort of seal to make up for imperfections on the mating surfaces you should be fine. The feed side is another story, which is why pretty much everyone has gone to threaded fittings and not a flange like in the '80s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts