SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background knowledge on the car the clutch is a year-and-a-half-old the throwout bearing is the same and my transmission is very very bad it was leaking for 6 months until I fixed it I am just curious what you guys think my issue is. My symptoms are as follows in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear when I engage the clutch meaning depressed the pedal, let go as the engage, I get a clunk coming from what feels like either my Axles Or my transmission; but i dont feel any abnormal clunks in my shifter which leads me to believe it could be my axles, even though i inspected them and they seemed to have no play. I dont get any abnormal feel from depressing the clutch only when it engages. Also in 3rd 4th and 5th gear if my rpms arent high it seldom makes a rhythmical clunk and i just cant distinguish between axles or transmission. Im sure you guys will say just replace another transmission and its just to hot lately haha i want my tranny to last until fall! What you guys think? Clutch tranny or axles/ throw lut bearing, or is it to hard to tell from that description? Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and the clunking doesnt always happen when engaging the clutch just sometimes. Clutch has 40k on it genuine saab viggen clutch..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked them, and they are only 6 months old for mounts discluding the subframe one thats hydraulic, motor doesnt move on WOT so they are good

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill go ahead and re check all my torques on subframe steering rack etc but im pretty sure there fine. The clunking will happen,then i shift into neutral and it stops immediately. But the clunking has only gotten worse. Now in 5th gear it clunks aswell. Sounds like the noise is coming from the front passenger side. Could my axle be making all that fuss even if theres no play? Or does the noise disappearing in neutral say anything?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That leads me to believe its confirmed my transmission gears clunking? Pretty positive my throw out/pilot bearing is going aswell as i can hear it make noise when shifting sometimes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For anyone wondering it was a loose axle nut. My fault.. I re used the one time use nut and compensated with red loctite. Worked for many months, im now realizing to never do that again, new axle and check for intermediate shaft scoring and shes back on the road.. Rookie mistake 😳

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
For anyone wondering it was a loose axle nut. My fault.. I re used the one time use nut and compensated with red loctite. Worked for many months, im now realizing to never do that again, new axle and check for intermediate shaft scoring and shes back on the road.. Rookie mistake 😳
Don't feel too bad... lots of people reuse them. Most everyone (including a pro-mechanic I know) insist that you can. Most of them don't have issues. But I've seen a few that had them loosen up.

Just for curiosity and a data point.... you did tighten to the factory torque and then angle tighten per the WIS? Since you went to the trouble of used red loctite, I'm guessing that you did. LMK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey bob, i actually got it "mostly" torqued, this was an eeuroparts special and the axle nut seems low quality because around 30 degrees i felt it starting to round off. I guess thats what happens when you use standard and not metric... 1 1/4 works but the aftermarket axle nut seems to have less surface area for the socket to grab.. So anyways i didnt get the full 45 degrees no... I got 30 in fear of stripping the axle nut. All good now though with the oem genuine saab axle nut (14$ vs 4 for aftermarket)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 1/4 is fine in my opinion on the oem nut, not aftermarket. I dont have metric that big. Like i was saying go to eeuroparts and look at the difference. I never said i stripped the nut i was paranoid about stripping it. I would love a big 33mm socket or whatever it is though of course

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
32mm :) It's up around 200# of torque when done. 1.25" is 31.75mm. So, if you can get it on the nut full depth, it's fine and might even be a shade better than a 32mm. But, socket quality matters at that torque, you don't want it distorting as you tighten, so decent quality impact whichever you choose.

Interesting about the aftermarket nut. I never tried those... always spent the big bucks for the factory nuts but I have been tempted. I'll be sure to ignore the temptation next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts