SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the driver's side axle, and I can not get the axle out of the wheel hub. It seems pretty stuck in there. I've used penetrating/heat/etc but it won't budge

My local home depot rents out hammer drills and rotary hammers, as unfortunately I can't get ahold of a air hammer (no compressor). Would either of these help with getting the axle out?

Would it help if I cut the axle in half, so that the axle I'm trying to push out leaves straight as opposed to pushing off in one direction? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Spray PB Blaster (or Kroil) several times and let it sit for a few hours. All you're trying to do is break the rust bond. The axle really doesn't move much inward, you need to pull the hub outward and sideways.

Edit: Here's a video for 9-5 from eEuro.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I used a very large 12" Proto gear puller that my dad inherited from his dad, and is amazingly still being made today, to get the axle moving. The first time I did it on my 2000 9-5, I was pretty shocked at how rusted in the place the axle shaft was. It took a ridiculous amount of force to get it freed up. This is in mostly rust-free Seattle, too. I can only imagine how bad it could get in other states. The puller also does a nice job of pulling off rusted brake rotors, although the 308mm rotors on an Aero are almost too big for it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used that video as a guide, I have the control arm/ball joint off the car so the hub is pulled out. I already did the axle on the passenger side so I'm familiar with how to get it off.

I did end up renting a rotary hammer with a couple different bits. This thing is NOT coming out, and my ears are killing from the noise and I'm pretty fed up with it

I'm vaguely considering just pulling the axle out from the trans and replacing the whole hub. At $60, it does seem kinda worth it. However I assume I'll need to replace the speed sensor as well, but I have a parts car. However, I heard those don't come off.

I was quoted $150 labor from a shop to replace the axle...I might bring it to them too, I assume an air hammer would take care of this

I ruined the threads on the axle shaft :/ so there is not much hope with those pullers that I assume thread on to the axle itself

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
A puller clamps onto the hub and presses on the divot in the center of the axle. If you can find one that's large enough, I'd give it a shot. The amount of force once of those can press with if you're using a long enough breaker bar to turn it is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
yea, a large puller should do the trick. Bolt the legs to the wheel bolt holes and then turn the screw. That will get it out for sure, but it may take a bit of elbow grease.

the other thing you might try is putting the nut back on but loose and taking teh car for a couple of laps around the block.

And finally you can unbolt the entire steering knuckle and just pull the axle out of the transmission. Then take it to someone who has a press who can push it out. (you don't say what year) but if it's really stuck and you have an 02 or later you can just unbolt the hub/bearing assembly from the knuckle and replace the whole thing. (but those bearing assemblies are expensive)

good luck

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I'd take the rotor off and bolt that directly to the hub, but if the rotor is stuck on as badly as the axle, I can't imagine it would damage the rotor.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
The rotor holds nothing actually, the wheel bolts go through the rotor and into the hub

So in essence in this kind of application the rotor is nothing more than a spacer. So as long as the bolts are long enough you can leave it on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts