SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in axle lengths between and 86 and a 93?

I took my car out for the first time today, and there was some severe snapping and jerking from underneath when I put it in gear and began to roll forward.

The 5 speed trans is from a 1993, but I I might have put the original 86 axles in it.
I'm not sure.
I just grabbed 2 off the pile and put them in.

I did notice that my inner boots are all stretched out, like the axles are too short.
The boots came from eeuro, and don't look like the originals.

If there is no difference, then I probably have a shot gearbox?

It didn't do this when I put it in gear up on stands.
Actually, it was quite silent on the stands, but only 1 wheel was turning.

Sounds like hell on the road.
Only drove it a few feet, turned around and came back.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm...I adjusted the toe in, and most of it went away.
It was very pigeon toed.

Still has some ugly noise, though.
The stretched out inner boots bug me.
The axles were not loose in the driver and the boots looked normal when I installed them.
When I tightened the spindle nuts, the axles seemed to pull out some.
Not sure if that is normal, hence the original question:
Is there a difference in length?

·
Registered
133 Posts
<mid 86 cars use smaller inner drivers(internally) than later cars. If you put the smaller tripods in the later inner drivers, it would probably make some racket.

I'm sure you know the left and right axles are different lengths, right?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<mid 86 cars use smaller inner drivers(internally) than later cars. If you put the smaller tripods in the later inner drivers, it would probably make some racket.

I'm sure you know the left and right axles are different lengths, right?
The tripods fit just fine in the drivers. They are not loose at all. They are on the correct sides.
If the drivers are different between the years, then I have the right ones in there.
I don't like the eeuro inner boots.
They are too short it seems.

The noise got a little better after I toed the wheels out a bit.
This trans looked good on the inside visually, but might still have a problem.
I mean, all the gears looked great.

Not sure what to look for if I open it up again.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I think the early Auto box shafts were off set or were both short, but definately there was a difference, as I put in complete shaft etc due to a wheel bearing gone, and when I let the clutch it just spun as slipped out of the splines as of course I had'nt noticed when tighteneing everything up, so had to re do it thinking I had messsed up only for it to do it again, then I check, and found it was shorter :evil:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
yes, but in your starter thread you said you got them of a pile??? at the scrap yard.... at home?? I had mine of a Car I broke but did'nt know they had different lengths anyway till I had the prob. the outer drive hub of shaft where the shaft fits inside caliper hub is different on a servo car to an ABS car as well, so be aware if after a quick change on that bit

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By "pile" I meant I had a pair of 86 shafts and a pair of 93 shafts. Both from 5 speeds. If there is a possibility that they are different, I need to go pull them out and make sure. It really makes a lot of noise mostly when taking off in 1st gear, and a little bit in 2nd. 3rd, 4th, seem normal. Really jerks when I turn in gear. I never got to 5th since I only drove the car up the street and back.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
right, just stand them on end and the longest(later car-1993) should be about 10-15mm longer than the others if memory serve's me right,(about 8 yrs ago:lol:)But I actually seem to remember having 3 different lengths units...when I found out, lol, but there has been items on here about them a while ago but can't remember all the details, but I threw my 'short' one's away so not to get mixed up again

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the axles and checked joints.
Joints are good.
They are both 1993 axles.
Definitely a bit longer than the other 2 I have.
Put them back in, and it just feels like a gearbox issue.
1st and 2nd are noisy, and downshifting into 2nd grinds badly half the time. 3rd, 4th, 5th, and R seem normal.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you are using longer shafts than Box/car was designed for this will put pressure on all the joints,box
have you changed the g/box drivers, as they are shimmmed and need the same shims for replacements not the shims that were on the box you got shafts off, and if you did remove the drivers did you do them one at a time.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are using longer shafts than Box/car was designed for this will put pressure on all the joints,box
have you changed the g/box drivers, as they are shimmmed and need the same shims for replacements not the shims that were on the box you got shafts off, and if you did remove the drivers did you do them one at a time.
The gearbox and both axles are from the same 1993 donor car.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
should have removed G/box and had a peep while it was out the car?? or did you own the g/box/car anyway?? and drive try it?/
I had it on the bench opened up and everything looked good enough. All the gears had all their teeth, anyway. I had 5 gear boxes, and this one was the only one without missing teeth on the gears. It's like these things are made of glass or something...

·
Registered
10 Posts
This thread dies just when it was looking promising for me! I'm having similar issues with drive axle being about 1" too short. What was the conclusion here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts