SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had to stand on my brakes pretty hard to avoid some pheasants on the road. It’s the first time I’ve had to brake hard since I got the car last year, and I was very impressed with how good they were. They were very progressive and strong, and the car remained straight and true.

At first I thought I’d broken the pedal as it seemed to remain down in the floor shortly after I let go. The second time I had to brake hard, about half a mile later, I actually noticed the car continuing to brake for a split second after I let my foot off the pedal.

I assume this was probably emergency brake assist or something similar?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you think they are great now, try braking hard when you have the akebono ceramics.. It makes the stocks seem like nothing.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
If you think they are great now, try braking hard when you have the akebono ceramics.. It makes the stocks seem like nothing.
Huh? The front stock oem pads are Akebono ceramics:roll:

·
Banned
250 Posts
I have never had to use full brakes on my 9-5. And I hope I never have to as I haven't had good experience with Saab brakes... Well ok I had one bad experience! A 1996 900-S, slammed brakes on fully and it stopped. Only half a mile later the pedal fell to the floor and I had no brakes! Brilliant eh! :lol:

Ah fine! I'll be daring tomorrow and do an emergency stop at 6am when no bodies on the road! See how she brakes. I guess I should have done that anyway to check it brakes straight in heavy braking conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced the front brake shoes with Akebono ceramics. Absolutely no brake dust. The wheels that I cleaned last month are still sparkling. The braking performance has improved as well. So impressed, that I just ordered a set for the rear wheels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have akebono's all around and its night and day from the oem pads the akebono's have almost no dust compared to oem pads

·
Registered
46 Posts
not to jack the thread but has anyone hit theirs brakes and heard a grinding noise from the wheel area and felt a pulse in the pedal, it has happened a few times now, a few times braking hard into a curve and once braking on ice :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've heard that several times before. For me it usually happens when i lose some sort of traction- At least that is what it seems like.

·
Registered
380 Posts
where you guys buying your akebonos from? youve got me interested...

·
Registered
585 Posts
not to jack the thread but has anyone hit theirs brakes and heard a grinding noise from the wheel area and felt a pulse in the pedal, it has happened a few times now, a few times braking hard into a curve and once braking on ice :eek:
Thats the ABS, when one wheel stops spinning it automatically pulses the brake line pressure to that wheel to allow it to start spinning and have more grip than when locked, and give you more control over the car. You can easily induce it on ice, or when its wet and you brake over a manhole cover or the like. Its normal, no reason to freak out, its the car working to save your ***.

I've had to stand on the brakes a few times, as well as using the car to autocross, and they're definitely up to the task for that usage anyway. They don't have any problem inducing the ABS to kick in, so the limiting factor in braking performance is the tires.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yeah dude, as said earlier, that's the ABS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts