SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hellow my fellow saabists, long time no see...

Whenever my engine's cold(ish) I get an aweful sqealing sound from around the alternator.. It's worse when I rev the engine fast, less when I rev it slowly..
I don't think it's the belt as it seems to be coming from somewhere else..
Any thoughts (yes I'll check all the regular stuff first, just thought that it was such a long time since I posted here ;oops: ) ???

·
Registered
444 Posts
If it was a belt, you could spray a quick squirt of WD40 on one belt at a time, gunning the engine in between squirts to see if the squeal is still there. If still there after trying all belts, a good guess is the bonding is starting to give way between the harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley, meaning replacement of same. (Or I guess one of your belt pulleys could be on the way out, but I don't know if they make a squealing sound or just decide to say goodbye and quietly fall off when they've had enough)

Did the replacement crankshaft pulley/balancer job earlier this year from scratch, mostly using this and this as guides, as well as looking through this forum. You need some patience - getting at some bits and pieces requires you to bend over for longish periods undoing things in tight spaces, but as often stated here, the job is imminently "doable" if you're happy to get your hands dirty working on cars, and cheap on parts if you shop around for a good priced harmonic balancer. The crankshaft seal and fuel pump O ring are very cheap. The satisfaction of taking on this job successfully, and having a clean engine, is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matthew said:
Welcome back Oliver... where you been!!

Does the squealing go a way? If so, then after how long?

Well you probably don't remember my "off-ramp fun" thread, but I have been busy on the Iron ever since. Did everything myself, learning everything along the way... That's why it took me sooooo very long to complete it.. This week I'm installing the Aero-kit, whaletail, 17" gray-and-polished-lip six-spoke alloys, lowered springs and Koni adjustables all around. Then there's the seven-speaker ICE system with Ipod hookup, tinted windows, yellow Hella Rally5000 fogs upfront, leather interior, and some other stuff I forgot :cheesy: :cheesy:

Pictures will suddenly appear when it's completely finished :p

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had squealing in the morning cold and discovered it was the belts , very high ptiched wailing sound. It mainly came on when I turned the wheel. Got new belts and it dissappeared.

Is that the stage it's currently at in the photos? That's quite a list but if you can get it done it sounds like it'll look fantastic!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Er.. The pics are from a few months ago :lol:
I'm quite optimistic, but not THAT optimistic :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts