SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may have an idea that will allow us to convert our cars to an "AWD" type system for what I am going to assume is roughly $1500-$2000 uninstalled (This price is for parts, sounds ridiculous without more info, I know, but bear with me).

I was curious if how many people would be interested in a kit like this were I to put one together. Of course, this is still in the design phase, I just wanted to see what kind of audience this would entertain, and if it's even worth making more than one assuming it works how I'd like on my own vehicle.

Please don't make any assumptions about the idea, like I said, I'd just like to see what kind of audience I'm looking at.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you can deliver such a system and assure your customers that it would be basically trouble free, I think you'll have tons of people interested. That said, I'm sure most people are immensely skeptical that this is possible at this point, without more details.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can deliver such a system and assure your customers that it would be basically trouble free, I think you'll have tons of people interested. That said, I'm sure most people are immensely skeptical that this is possible at this point, without more details.
I expect there to be much skepticism, but realistically, if this works well I may end up patenting the idea.

Of course, I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself and wanted to check that there was actually a market for such a thing before investing too much time and/or money.

I'll release more details to you guys when I'm able.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
wow i think alot of people would be if the system could handle al the saab torque!

trust me our saab torque is nothing to what people in the DSM market are, John Sheppard running 1000+ hp in his eagle talon and its still AWD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE

The people on the ss forums where asking him if he was going to make a tranny build for the cobalt ss but im not sure if hes done anything

·
Registered
196 Posts
Heck if you could adapt a dsm tranny and drivetrain to the 9-5 it would be great. You can pick up the full set up usually for 2k or less, And yes those are quite burly trannys. Get the transfer case rebuilt with a 4 gear spider gear and they're great. I wouldn't recommend using a subaru transmission with this idea though. They aren't exactly happy with lots of torque.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not the way I'm planning on doing it.

This design won't require any transmission mods.

Like I said, there is no reason to debate the cost, as no one but me knows what the design is at the moment. :cool:

SaabNineThree, those are 1000+ HP cars, like you said... His point was that these cars have a lot of torque for their horsepower rating.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts

Like I said, there is no reason to debate the cost, as no one but me knows what the design is at the moment. :cool:

SaabNineThree, those are 1000+ HP cars, like you said... His point was that these cars have a lot of torque for their horsepower rating.
99 % of 4 cylinders with no vlave timing with a turbo will make more torque then hp.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts

it wont work dude the trans axle we have has no output or ability to out put another drive shaft the gears are not set up in the correct position to do that... you will need a modified or custom transmission, the gears in the f35 are face left to right of the car body in vs straight placed gears up and down to the car body that have the ability to slice off into a t case to split to the rear diff.

Honestly there is no point of making our cars awd anyways it does not have much advantages, fwd with lsd can pull honestly hard and fast.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SaabNineThree said:
99 % of 4 cylinders with no vlave timing with a turbo will make more torque then hp.
His point still stands.

it wont work dude the trans axle we have has no output or ability to out put another drive shaft the gears are not set up in the correct position to do that... you will need a modified or custom transmission, the gears in the f35 are face left to right of the car body in vs straight placed gears up and down to the car body that have the ability to slice off into a t case to split to the rear diff.

Honestly there is no point of making our cars awd anyways it does not have much advantages, fwd with lsd can pull honestly hard and fast.
Like I said, and will continue to say, you are way off base, and do not know what I am thinking here. I simply asked if such a system were developed, who would be interested at a price similar to that. I'd love to tell you more, but I'm currently protecting my idea, as it could very potentially work out. Might sound dumb, but if either the plan succeeds or fails, believe me that you guys will be the first to know what I am designing.

Just as a side note, having an LSD installed costs around $2000, and that's without the cost of the actual LSD. This system could very well be the same price (maybe even cheaper).

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
His point still stands.

Like I said, and will continue to say, you are way off base, and do not know what I am thinking here. I simply asked if such a system were developed, who would be interested at a price similar to that. I'd love to tell you more, but I'm currently protecting my idea, as it could very potentially work out. Might sound dumb, but if either the plan succeeds or fails, believe me that you guys will be the first to know what I am designing.

Just as a side note, having an LSD installed costs around $2000, and that's without the cost of the actual LSD. This system could very well be the same price (maybe even cheaper).
We all have wild dreams but if you have no clue how the stock trans looks take a look at mine

The tranny is mounted into the car like this the gears go left to right, there is no way you are going to get another output shaft form the f35 it needs to be replaced with something else, just saying dude.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We all have wild dreams but if you have no clue how the stock trans looks take a look at mine

The tranny is mounted into the car like this the gears go left to right, there is no way you are going to get another output shaft form the f35 it needs to be replaced with something else, just saying dude.
I know how the transmission looks on the outside. I also know how hit looks on the inside. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are the only one on this forum with half a brain and some mechanical knowledge.

I understand your concerns, now it's your turn to understand that the transmission has nothing to do with my plans. Clearly this design is nothing like you see now, otherwise I wouldn't be considering a patent.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i'm guessing probibly using some sort of electric motor.

i'd be all over it for 1-2grand btw
I think 1500 to 2500 is a reasonable price for this. I'm basically assuming this is going to run about the same as an LSD installed. Although, there are definitely always unforeseen changes in the price of things like this.

Remember, I'm still doing research and working out designs. I'm simply curious as to the audience.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The one concern I do have is the set-up of the rear suspension, and I feel that is really the limiting factor in this project.

It clearly (and the why is obvious) is not set up for any large amount of power to the rear wheels. I'm a bit concerned that with the trailing arm set-up, there is going to be some strange torque effects, not to mention it's already weak bushings might cause the suspension to hit weird camber and toe angles even more frequently. Ultimately, AWD may not be a reality on this particular car. However, I shall tread on... I'll call you guys my sample audience!

More homework is needed... :cool:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good luck if you can do it, I have to admit I'm curious as to how you're planning to make it happen.

I'd definitely consider buying if you could make a reliable and workable solution that was trouble free.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
AWD conversion...........I've just done it!:cool:

Simples :p

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Im with you Sector! You could potentially count me in as Ive been planning on getting an awd 9-3 in the coming years. Not that I really want a 9-3, but I do want an awd saab. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
dude, if i lived near you i would help you do it. I cant wait to see the final product, although honestly i bet it would be easiest to take an AW drivetrain from another car and modify that to fit. Are you proposing manufacturing a completely new one?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts