SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 900turbo. When I bought the car from my father in law it had a blown engine. I rebuilt the engine, and went through the car in 2003 at 101,500 miles. I replaced the clutch, clutch master, slave, brake calapers, rotors pads, hoses, brake master, starter, tires, shocks and battery.
The car now has 149,000 miles on it. Outside of the HVAC blower motor nothing has gone wrong with this car (yet). My question is what should I replace to ensure the car continues to be reliable? Specificaly- should I replace the fuel pumps? is Eeuroparts the best place to get them? What else is due to go?
My fear is that I will be in the middle of nowhere miles from home at 2 am without a cell phone and the car will just up and quit. I have purchased a brush/regulator assembly for the origonal alternator and will install it now. The car is in excellent condition and has proven itself to be quite reliable. I want to ensure it will stay that way.
Thanks!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Midnight" gets a mobil 1 oil change with a napa gold (wix) filter every 3K. I religiously let the turbo idle down for a minute or so before shutting her down, and I do not stomp on the throttle until the temp is well in the green zone. This is hard because I live 1/2 mile from the interstate on ramp and th engine is still cold when I get on the interstate in the morning. I take my time getting up to speed. I want to know what to do now to avoid trouble down the road. She is 20 years old...

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Don't worry. If the car is in good condition it is in good condition regardless of how old it is. If some part is worn out, well replace that.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sometimes fuel pumps stop without prior warning but usually they start to hum loudly for a far while before they go.If they do pack up without warning then a sharp thwack on the fuel tank can often get them going to get you home.

Dan.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
dasander said:
"Midnight" gets a mobil 1 oil change with a napa gold (wix) filter every 3K. I religiously let the turbo idle down for a minute or so before shutting her down, and I do not stomp on the throttle until the temp is well in the green zone. This is hard because I live 1/2 mile from the interstate on ramp and th engine is still cold when I get on the interstate in the morning. I take my time getting up to speed. I want to know what to do now to avoid trouble down the road. She is 20 years old...
Sounds like you're doing all you should to preserve the car. Rarely do items simply stop working without warning and from what you have described and the sympathetic way you drive the car you are giving yourself the best chance.

Of course, electrics always have a mind of their own. Perhaps cleaning terminals and cleaning earth points will help prevent electrical gremlins in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts