SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my belt started freying so I got in the the garage to be replaced, after getting it back I saw that the garage has put a smaller belt on which doesnt go round all the pulleys. (apparently it doesn't matter) Is that the case or should I take it back immediately?:roll:

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
If it skipped the center pulley, that's fine. It's known as the short-belt-mod and we all do it on purpose. Cuts a pulley out and works the same. 9-3's come that way from the factory.

Google "saab" and "short belt mod" for a diagram.

·
Registered
182 Posts
However....
if he has used the non AC belt on an AC equipped car the AC will now not work. Check to see if the belt goes round the compressor pulley, if not then get one that does as after a while the gas will escape and your AC won't work even if it has the right belt fitted

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Last week my belt started fraying so I got in the the garage to be replaced, after getting it back I saw that the garage has put a smaller belt on which doesn't go round all the pulleys. (apparently it doesn't matter) Is that the case or should I take it back immediately?:roll:
Its best that idler pulleys are replaced when the serpentine belt is replaced..
This is another example of the fine art of communications....the garage/shop should tell the customer this...Yes! I know, a $50 job become a $150 career...But, I think this approach is cheaper in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts