SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls,
its really a shame. someone in the 9-3 forums finally figured out a way to run an aux input to the stock stereo. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51169&highlight=avixcore

but after opening my radio up it doesnt seem to be able to be done. ;oops: they seem to have two intput channels (stereo) for the phone intput and the radio we have seems to only have one intput(mono). I was really hoping to be able to run an aux input, but unless someone else can figure something out...maybe using the leads from the tape deck(since nobody uses it anyway) or something like that. so if anyone has opened there radio and found a way to do it. post up cause im quite anxious to do this mod.

Nick

·
Registered
905 Posts
so we dont have a TEL input? I have a phone in my saab so I am guessing it would have to be connected to the the TEL input, am I wrong?

I saw that post before and got all excited too...I hope somebody here can take the leap and try something and post back :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we do have a tel. input, but it doesnt seem to ever split to two channels on the circuit board...so unless somebody else can find the two channels, i guess were SOL...

I might take it apart again this weekend and see if i can find em.

Nick

·
Registered
34 Posts
good luck man...did you ever contact the guy who originally did it? maybe he can figure it out quickly and adapter his "kit" for our car

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi
I was wondering if the 'aux-in' for the 9-5 can be tapped from the CD changer connector?
That is provided you have not installed the CD changer.

I'm pretty disappointed with the iTrip for the iPod.

Just thinking? :roll:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BernardK said:
Hi
I was wondering if the 'aux-in' for the 9-5 can be tapped from the CD changer connector?
Cd changer controller is a NO GO, unless you have a cd changer connected, because from what I know, the cd changer needs to be married to the car by a tech II, and it cant be done unlessw the cd changer is there...if youve got a cd changer, you could splice into the left and right connections on the changer cable and run those, of course the cd changer would have to spin the cd still and you'd probably have a stop in music from your ipod when the cd changer switched cds...i'd assume.

If anyone knows where i can get a cd changer for a 99 9-5 with the cable for cheap. (like 25 bucks or so) i'd be willing to pay the dealer to run the tech II and marry it to my car and try it. worst comes to worst i have a cd changer:roll: .

Nick

Like alot of you, i'd really like to be able to find a way to run an aux. input for an ipod, and although the 9-3 guys have a different head unit and figured it out, im sure with some effort we can figure out a way to do it. I think the cd changer way could work too, just have to do some work with it.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Chances of finding a cd changer with leads for $25 zero. If you get one for less than $150 i'd be surprised and there's no guarantee you can figure a way to get an aux input. Have you considered buying the cheapest Alpine head with the Ipod adaptor, you're gonna get a so much better sound quality with a part designed to do the job properly, than fusing wires onto a circuit board.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kermit said:
Have you considered buying the cheapest Alpine head with the Ipod adaptor, you're gonna get a so much better sound quality with a part designed to do the job properly, than fusing wires onto a circuit board.
I actually have thought about this, and even a high end alpine (which is what i would buy) doesnt have that stock look, which i really like in this car. so its a try and play with it for a while, then when i have some extra cash, maybe i'll just go aftermarket.

nick

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The standard Saab head unit is ugly as sin. :eek: Most Alpines come with the green backlit display that perfectly matches the ACC and dash lighting, i don't think this looks out of place at all. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts