SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.,
So I decided to to an aux input mod on my 99 base 9-3. It has a tape deck so I looked at the mod for the 900's. All went well except that the tape player "ejects" a non existant tape... I went this way for a mod because the cassette converter would "spit out" all the time. This all leads me to believe that the cassette portion of my radio was the base problem.
My question to all you guys that have torn your radios apart for this mod is:
Are the cassette portions of the 900's and the early 9-3's all the same? If so, I'm looking to buy from one of you guys JUST the cassette portion of a 900 OR 9-3 radio....this way no divorce and marriage are needed.
I would have put this the classifieds , but the request is a little odd for that section.
Here are a couple or pics

Just to answer the question of why don't I just put in an aftermarket radio?
1) I like the stock look
2) I actually use the weather band :cool:

Thanks in advance!
Eric

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I love weather band, and the stock look, wouldn't give it up for a thing.

Unfortunatly I can't answer your question. ;oops:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK,

TROLLhattenschatten helped me out with a cassette portion of the radio for me as both the 900 and the 9-3 both share this piece of the radio. After doing this :
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20060924.Saab_NG900_Line_Input/?all
mod again, the result is a little better, but not what I'm looking for.
The Ipod works for 20-30 seconds, and then the sound stops and the SID says "skip" if I push the tape direction button, it plays another 20-30 seconds or so. This is close to the same problem I had before, last time, it would eject the non existing tape......

Has anyone out there that has done this mod help me?

On the plus side though, if i use a cassette deck adapter...... it works great. :cool:

Thanks..........

·
Registered
525 Posts
Try holding the "seek" button in the middle for a few seconds. On the 9-5 this disables the auto-seek mode. I've never tried it on the 9-3, but it might work.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Eric - you killed my radio for no reason? :cry:

...Alot of tape decks have that problem though.
i would try cleaning it. i have never used it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dip said:
Try holding the "seek" button in the middle for a few seconds. On the 9-5 this disables the auto-seek mode. I've never tried it on the 9-3, but it might work.
Well, I tried it.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!

just in case anyone wants to know, I only used part of the mod shown in the 1st part of the thread. I solderd these three wires:

After that I "gutted" a cassette tape so it is empty and will never end. When I insert the empty tape, I can plug in my MP3 player, and it has a 7up sound to it (crisp and clean to you youngsters).

Thanks Dip and Troll, you both helped me out alot!

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts