SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had my ipod connected for a few months now, but even from day one i've had this problem.. when it's paused or the song is low, you hear like high pitched static.. and it's not constant, it's changing.. sometimes it's louder, sometimes it's more high pitched.. it's just very annoying.

i've tried lowering the volume on the ipod, raising it, changing the AUX cable (for the ipod to the connector) it's just always there..

is there something messed up with the jack->dashboard? or shoud i get an ipod amp thingy?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's a design flaw in the '03 head unit. Fix is to install a 10K ohm resistor between each channel and ground of the aux-in cable.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to be a pain, but could you maybe use more detail/show me?

i'm not sure how to install that.. maybe you can show me what the resistir looks like. i would really love to fix this problem, i'm just not very audio-savvy at all. **** i'm paying a friend to install the infinity basslink for me in a few weeks =/

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
wtfwill said:
not to be a pain, but could you maybe use more detail/show me?

i'm not sure how to install that.. maybe you can show me what the resistir looks like. i would really love to fix this problem, i'm just not very audio-savvy at all. **** i'm paying a friend to install the infinity basslink for me in a few weeks =/
have a read through Aux-in, Tel 1 a reality for the 2003+ 9-3!!! the resistor info is there, along with lots of other good info
Steve.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
There are two problems with 03 EHU's. The earliest units had an actual input impedance problem resulting in very low signal when using aux-in. The typical complaint is, "No matter what I do I can't get AUX to play anywhere near as loud as the radio or CD." This is a very difficult problem to fix, as it involves carefully modifying the EHU. I think Epsilon93 is the only one who actually did it!

The hiss problem with an open AUX source is much more common, affecting most 2003's and some 2004's. This hiss is only preset when you disconnect an aux cable from an iPod or whatever. The 10K ohm resistors in the cable easily rectify this.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i've got the 2nd problem you mention, and yes it makes that hiss when i disconnect it.. but the problem is that it makes the same noise while it's connected.

you think i should maybe go out and get a new cable? what i'm referring to is the cable i run from the headphone jack on my ipod to the aux jack in the center console.

i've tried changing it with one i had laying around, and it had the same effect. that grould loop isolator looks like it would do the trick, i'm just not sure where it connects.. i'm assuming it connects between the ipod headphone jack and the aux jack in the center console via adapters?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Changing the cable won't help. You need the resistors to attenuate the noise. Can you make your own audio cable? If you can, it is easy to embed the resistor into the cable so you can get rid of this noise. If you need a custom cable (3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack) I can help make one for you. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
437 Posts
wtfwill said:
i've had my ipod connected for a few months now, but even from day one i've had this problem.. when it's paused or the song is low, you hear like high pitched static.. and it's not constant, it's changing.. sometimes it's louder, sometimes it's more high pitched.. it's just very annoying.

i've tried lowering the volume on the ipod, raising it, changing the AUX cable (for the ipod to the connector) it's just always there..

is there something messed up with the jack->dashboard? or shoud i get an ipod amp thingy?
yep, you will find that it is dependant on rpm rev's.
you need a "gound loop isolator" it connects in-line with the 1/8 jack.
most of us with early models have done it. the problem will be gone.
you can one from belkin or radio shack for 15-20 bucks.
it is common on other automobiles as well. I also bought one for my wife's honda, so this is not a SAAB exclusive problem.
search "ground loop isolator" in here and you will find many threads.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
i thought a ground loop isolater only works for "in-line" sounds. It seams his AUX makes a noise REGARDLESS if something is plugged in our not. That would make me believe that it is something to do with his radio.

I have used ground loop isolators with amps in a car sound system.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Today I tried my aux input for the first time with a portable cd-player and and an I-pack (it can play music, I didn't know) with MP3. 9-3, MY 06.
The aux produces a hiss, with and without the two players I tried and when nothing is plugged in at all (not even the cable). It is a constant midrange hiss, not a hum or cracking, and it is not influenced by windscreenwipers or running engine. It is getting louder when the volume is turned up. When playing music loud it ís still there at the background. When switching to the cd-player it completely silent in pauses and unloaded.
Would this 'ground loop isolator' thing cure this? Or do I need a cable with a resistor? And if so, are the cables for sale or do I have to find someone to make me one?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you have a MY06, I doubt the resistor would help - that was an '03 issue only, as far as I know. But if you did want to try that, there are no pre-built cables with the resistor that I know of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts