SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of something like this

http://www.ithings.co.uk/item--Belkin-Tunecast-II--HDD1006.html

It's an fm transmitter which can be connected to any portable mp3 player or whatever else and listen through the car radio on a preselected fm frequency...

This one is just an example...if you google search for "fm modulators",you will find too many of them...

So,what do you think???
Anyone uses anything like this???

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The aux in will sound much better than any FM modulator. And there is a big difference in quality among modulators. I have the aux in enabled in my 9-3, and it sounds great. In my wife's car, I've tried two different modulators so far. The Belkin TuneCast II is worthless, weak signal and impossible user interface. Monster's iCarPlay is better, but still nothing like a direct connection.

BTW, a modulator can't come close to sounding even like a poor FM station...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would strongly agree that hard-wired is far superior to an FM modulator. There is a caveat one should be aware of, however.

When my ne 9-3 was delivered, it did not have the input jack inside the center armrest. I talked the dealer into giving me the harness for free and I would install it myself, which I did. Only upon completion did I realize that there was no input control on the stereo. I eventually learned that in addition to the harness, there was programming necessary that only the dealer could perform ($60).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Aux in all the way!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The issue of enabling Aux In has been discussed a lot in this forum. Dealers vary in what they charge to do the enabling, though $60 is very much on the high side. $25 is more common, and mine did it for free.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the FM mod with XM and the sound quality is a little tinny, one thing I notice is if I travel to another city I may have to change the channel it's on if another station is on the same channel. I just haven't had time to upgrade to Aux but will be doing it soon.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of the fm modulator,as a temporary solution,because I can use it in both my cars... and because it does not requires any installation... :roll:

The Belkin was just for example.... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts