SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen plenty of forumns on here about creating an auxilary input for ipod's mp3 players etc. for gm model saabs. has anyone ever done it on a c900? Is there a walkthrough? i would like a jack for my mp3 player (simple stereo jack) Anyone have any ideas suggestions, or helpful information before i try this? Also are there any theft devices in the stereo i will disturb other than the lock out code by doing this? also i am assuming this will be wired into the head unit and not the eq? will i get better quality music using the built in eq in my mp3 player???
wow i have to much time on my hands on weekends. lol :roll:
thanx

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
blindly started project

ok i bit off more than i can chew apparently the electronics in saabs are more complicated than i thought.:roll: or maybe its just my lack of knowledge that has me stumped. ;oops: (probobly both) So this is what I am attempting to accomplish. I have a mini mp3 player (creative muvo txfm) it only has an output jack for headphones. i am trying to create and input jackso i can plug it into the saab stereo and eliminate buring those cds all the time. Upon tearing out the equalizer i have found din plugins i am not familiar with and i dont know where to wire in my stereo input jack. the equalizer is the stock clarion/cd (model hbm-021. I have the audio equipment manual that came with my car but it only has the diagram for the ldin and not individual wires. Well if anyone knows more about this or has any suggestions or even knows if this is possible please advice is needed! oh and my car is not equip with the cd changer so i am attempting to hook it up through that input. i will post pictures here shortly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the original input on the equalizer is a 12 or 13 pin din plug i was hopeng there is a way to wire a stereo jack the circuit board that the din plug is wired to.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
There is a way to do this, but it requires a LOT of patience and skill.

My solution would be to buy an FM modulator to plug the portable into. That way you listen to the mp3 player through the FM radio in the Saab. You can also buy a standard walkman-type through cassette adapter, too. I don't like these as much.

Sound quality is a little compromised, but mp3's are a compromise anyway.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does the stock optional 6 disk changer use an fm modulator? if not isnt it still possible to wire the new jack into the eq where the cd changer is supposed to plug in? of course with 13 pins it will take me some time to figure out what each wire is for.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
No, the stock CD changer was hard wired.

The problem here is that the output of the mp3 player is amplified, and the CD changer audio input is to a pre amp section of the head unit. You can ruin your head unit if you don't do it right -- this can be a level over 100 times the expected input level of the CD changer, not good the last time I checked!!

Additionally, it will be difficult to 'tell' the head unit that it should switch to the CD changer audio input with success. If the head unit switches to the CD changer input, it also checks for things like whether a valid audio CD is in the changer, which CD is currently playing, etc. Unless you have a way to fool the head unit, it will take a look and then return a message like 'no CD' and switch back to the radio input.

Take a look here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ynz0OoTOFtQ/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=227750&avf=N

The cassette adapters are less than $20, the FM modulators are less than $40. To me, this is the only real option.
Or, buy an aftermarket head unit with an auxiliary audio input that will probably outperform the SAAB/Clarion simply due to technology improvements in the ensuing 15 years for about $150 or $200 and be done with it.

I applaud the disire to try, but it's just not worth the trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts