SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 9-3 2.0t ARC Auto 114000 Km

Full Saab History and recent 40K service completed

I just discovered intermittent transmission slip. So far restricted to the change from 1st to 2nd. The car takes off from a stationary, and then upon the point at which it should change from 1st to 2nd the revs increase and drive is lost. Of course, the natural reaction is to lift off the accelerator and then allow it to find the gear, then it proceeds just fine. I cannot be definite yet, but it appears so far to have done this when moving off from a standstill and turning immediately right (as at a set of T lights for example), perhaps that’s just coincidence? Not too sure.

Clearly I am looking for any similar experiences, thoughts, suggestions etc. I only had the car a week, from a dealer. I guess just want to be fully armed with info for when I speak with him.

Thanks in anticipation, I just joined this site and am delighted already with the depth and range of topics. Hopefully I am not the only SAABette to have encountered slipage!

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
2003 9-3 2.0t ARC Auto 114000 Km

Full Saab History and recent 40K service completed

I just discovered intermittent transmission slip. So far restricted to the change from 1st to 2nd. The car takes off from a stationary, and then upon the point at which it should change from 1st to 2nd the revs increase and drive is lost. Of course, the natural reaction is to lift off the accelerator and then allow it to find the gear, then it proceeds just fine. I cannot be definite yet, but it appears so far to have done this when moving off from a standstill and turning immediately right (as at a set of T lights for example), perhaps that’s just coincidence? Not too sure.

Clearly I am looking for any similar experiences, thoughts, suggestions etc. I only had the car a week, from a dealer. I guess just want to be fully armed with info for when I speak with him.

Thanks in anticipation, I just joined this site and am delighted already with the depth and range of topics. Hopefully I am not the only SAABette to have encountered slipage!
No you aren't. Mine's been doing this since day 1. 7 years later it still runs fine. Knock on wood....

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
mine slips in 4th and 5th on cold mornings when its not warmed up but its gone after 5 mins of driving. maybe a fluid flush would help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so do I need to get used to it, or is there any action I need to take? Clearly it is a bit annoying to say the least, and although it is intermittent right now, I am wondering if it is a pre-curser to something more awkward?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok, so do I need to get used to it, or is there any action I need to take? Clearly it is a bit annoying to say the least, and although it is intermittent right now, I am wondering if it is a pre-curser to something more awkward?
Ask your dealer to make sure your TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ECM (Electronic Control Module) have the latest SPS (Service Programing System) updates or are at least current before you do anything.

More often than not it's a programing issue before a long mechanical one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine was doing that from 2nd to 3rd, not every time but occasionally. I had the transmission flushed at the dealer and that solved it for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise, I am somewhat re-assured that others have the same issue and are not following up by saying it cost them heaps of $$ in repairs. Perhaps if I am brave enough I will get it flushed, although I was somewhat concerned at reports elsewhere on here that flushing may aggravate the issue. Thanks for the tips anyway. I may just get the dealer to determine what course of action he wants to take (if any) rather than take the lead, at least that way he takes some responsibility if it goes wrong.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If you flush, get a Pump Inlet type flush rather than the Higher Pressiure type offered by most places, it's more expensive but it truly replaces all of the fluid.

Saabs already given me two factory rebuilt transmissions and we're talking about a third... seem to be some Valve body issues that they don't like to discuss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback so far. I have read about flushing etc on here, and will likely get the workshop to do the full flush that is mentioned. I have also read about the coolant contamination issues and subsequent recall, or rectification that was once offered. I am curious as to how I may find out if my car has had this work done, and if not just how long do manufactures (saab) typically offer to undertake the repair for free? Clearly I suspect that as the car is now 7yrs + and 114,000 Kilometres they are unlikely to be very receptive??

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,523 Posts
AFAIK, recalls stay with the vehicle for it's entire life until the recall work is performed.

So, even if you had 400,000 Miles on it, and it was 20 years old, they would still have to honor the recall.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
AFAIK, recalls stay with the vehicle for it's entire life until the recall work is performed.

So, even if you had 400,000 Miles on it, and it was 20 years old, they would still have to honor the recall.
I think that's true for a recall, but they didn't issue a recall for the oil cooler quick coupling o-rings. Instead, they issued a service campaign.

According to the printout my dealer gave me, the campaign for my 2004 expired in September 2008.

Of course that was administered through SAABUSA. In Australia they may have a different policy. US dealers keep track of these things by VIN, so you can probably figure out whether the repair was done or not. If not, it's a wise idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just wanted to add....

Shortly after getting my 04 ARC convertible (138k miles) it was flairing (slipping or losing completely) 3rd when it got good and hot... then hard shifts especially in 2nd

I replaced the 3 linear solenoids @ $160 (just drop tranny pan for access)
and now it shifts like new
http://valvebodyxpress.com/

used Valvoline Max Life Synthetic ATF Mercon/Dexron LV $18 a gallon @ Walmart
shifts great now

My first Saab.. have had many BMWs, Mercedes. an Alfa Romeo, Fiat, MGB, Jaguar, and Land Rover... I like Euro imports
Although technically it's a GM

Have done my own maintenance on all my cars for many many years now part time indy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts