SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If the manual says Dextron III can we use Dextron VI (the stuff wasn't around when the manual was printed)? Is there any advantage to VI?
Why does the Redline 4 say "automatic/manual?" I thought automatics (mine) and manual transmission used a different fluid. The other option out there is to order the Mobil ATF 3309 in a case of 12 quarts for $85.
I did find this in an earlier post regarding 2002 cars: "The fluid used in this transmission system is a completely new type due to the increased stress caused by the slipping lock-up. The fluid is designated JWS 3309, (Aisin-AW spec). JWS 3309 is a mineral-based ATF with unique additives, high coefficient of friction and very high resistance to thermal oxidation. This fluid is factory standard on model -02 cars and applies also to 9-3 (4-speed aut.). JWS 3309 will mix with Dexron II and III. (JWS 3309 is therefore "backwards compatible" but will not provide any advantages over standard fluid in earlier 4-speed automatic transmissions. However, only JWS 3309 is to be used in Aisin AW 33/5 and no other fluid.)" So, does this imply that 02 and up (5 speed auto) should use 3309? Earlier cars (4 speed automatics) can just use 3309, Dexron III (or VI)?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm pretty sure were not suppose to use the mobile 1 ATF fluid, I think I read that somewhere. Jegs sells some ATF that is safe for dex III, hopefully some one will chime in on this

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Underdog - are you having any troubles with your transmission right now?

If not I really recommend just keeping it simple.

I just bought my car (not my first used car by far) and I do not have any maintenance history on it at all.

I drained the trans fluid (which was pretty black and nasty) and refilled with Valvoline MaxLife. I am going to drive it a 1,000 miles or so and drain and fill again. I plan on doing that every 1,000 miles until the fluid drains out nice and red.

Then from there I am going to go to 1x per year fluid drain and fill.

I think (IMO) more problems are caused by SWITCHING to some high end synthetic fluid on a high mileage car than by just keeping the fluid that is called for by the manufacturer. Use the correct basic fluid and change it more often - that is what I do.

YMMV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts