SaabCentral Forums banner

Automatic transmission issue

897 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MPLsaab 
#1 ·
Background - ABS , traction control and stability control lights are on. When driving, if I throttle hard, transmission will buck. Otherwise runs fine. If I shift manually I have no issues. The car shifts right away.

My question. What is the probability the bucking is caused by the ABS issue?

Brian

#6 ·
Read and log stored DTCs with Tech2, then clear them and drive. Read new stored DTCs to get a clue as to current malfunctions.

What does "weak signal" mean?
Which car are you having the problem with? You have three listed.

#4 ·
When my engine was misfiring due to ignition coils going bad it felt like it was bucking. Maybe it's the engine and not the transmission. Also, if you have over 100K miles on your car and the transmission fluid has not been replaced, replace it. I used Mobil 1 3309 ATF. I think you're supposed to change it every 85K miles.

#5 ·
Thanks Woody, Actually I just replace the engine with a very good used one (110 Miles). Changed the valve cover gaskets and the cams and internal components looked great. It runs great unless it needs to downshift to add power to get up a hill or if I step on it harder then usual.

I'm doing a lot of work to the car. I should have documented the process. I recently cleaned up and painted the interior (rear only at this point). No one can believe how good it looks. Close to new. Doing most of the work myself so costs are in control, although most people think I'm crazy for 'restoring' a saab. It's a heritage edition. I love it. And oh, I only paid $600 for the car and I got the replaced engine for $0. I'm a total amatuer by the way. Learning as I go. Takes me 4x longer then a mechnic to do anything but I enjoy it. And I am learning a ton.

Anyway thanks for the response.

Brian

#8 ·
Your Tech 2 service man did you no favors. Weak signal could be a wiring issue or even one of the transmission solenoids. However, if it ran good before your engine change I would hunt down, with a wiring diagram, all of your connections using point to point on the I and P Bus up to the TCM and maybe from the ECM. Perhaps a bent pin at a connector? If I had to make a choice it would be in the connections to the TCM. I just went thru a trans change on my 03 Vector with a lot of work changing out old o-ring, exhaust, engine mount, spark plugs, high flow intake, etc.etc. The WIS saved my hindside. Its downloadable online. May have to stare at it for a while to learn symbols but it will lead you down the correct path along with a competent Tech 2 diagnosis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.