SaabCentral Forums banner

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

13K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Adrian92 
#1 ·
Okay, after looking through the forum and creeping though pages I've found people using several different fluids from Toyota T-IV, Mobil 3309, and OEM Saab fluid.

Which have you used/would you recommend? I need to get this done soon, and want to locate the fluid and buy it.

Also I have a replacement radiator due to a front end collision a July two years ago, the transmission cooling lines are leaking now as of two weeks maybe. Spoke to a Tech at the dealer and he said the replacement radiators (Not OEM) have shorter connections or something of that sort. Going to probably just put this aircraft sealant my father has at his work which they use to seal up stuff on airplanes and airplane parts. Any other suggestions than replacing the radiator?

Any and all input on the topics are welcome ;ol;

#7 ·
#11 ·
The reason that people often opt for the Toyota ATF Type-IV is that it is often well-priced and your local Toyota dealer always has it. I bought a case at my local Toyota parts department for $6.09/qt. So I think it came out to roughly $78 with tax. That and it's JWS 3309 compatible which is what you are looking for.

#13 ·
I don't understand... why not just use Toyota Type IV Fluid? Plenty of members on the forum have used it. It's the only fluid I've used in both my 9-3 and 9-5. And on the 9-3's, the green plastic plug (or measuring stick) that you remove to fill the tranny when performing a drain-n-fill, clearly states, molded right into the plastic: Use Only Type IV Fluid.

It's easy to find, there's always a Toyota dealer somewhere near you and compared to other options, it's cheap!

Sounds like a complete Win-Win scenario to me.

#14 ·
I used the Maxlife ATF. It states its a good replacement for TIV and in one of its FAQ this was noted.

1. Does MaxLife ATF meet the spec for Volvos with a Geartronic Transmission?
    Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF will meet Volvo specifications that require the use of TIV or JWS3309 ATF.
Thats good enough for me. The transmission shifts so smoothly now.

#22 ·
Ok, thank you guys! I'll get around 10 quarts for this months and next month's and that should have it covered. I've heard people drain three times too, but have heard that the last time isn't really necessary since fluid coming out looked clean

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.