SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 9-3 base model. What part of the automatic transmission electrical system could cause the car to not move when any gear is selected? I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi Bob,
Does it not move at all?
The nss and or shifter cable has been causing problems for quite some time on our '00 9-3 base.
Sometimes (rarely) it doesn't move at all but most of the time the transmission goes into what I call 'limp home' mode and barely moves.
Do you get the check engine and gear box lights when this happens and does the indicator light on the dash move when you move the shifter?
We get the cel and gear box light and the indicator light doesn't move when it's acting up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
I have only been able to get it to slightly move forward but it will not reverse. The indicator light moves to the corresponding gear selected and here's the real kicker....with the help from a chart on WIS, I checked the corresponding pins on the TCM connector and all the voltages coming from the range switch are correct in every gear selected. One can conclude that the switch is at least providing the correct voltages to the TCM but what happens after that, I don't know. Currently, I'm getting NO transmission warning light in the dash, although know it's good because it illuminates when the key is first turned on.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Maybe a mechanical problem. Check ATF level. Might have a clogged internal filter. New filter is cheap, but AT has to be removed from car to replace it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have a 2000 9-3 base model. What part of the automatic transmission electrical system could cause the car to not move when any gear is selected? I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. Thanks.
Maybe a mechanical problem. Check ATF level. Might have a clogged internal filter. New filter is cheap, but AT has to be removed from car to replace it.
I fully agree with the thought about the internal filter. Your symptoms certainly sound like a lack of hydraulic pressure in the trans and either low fluid or a clogged filter would be the likely cause.

If you do drop the transmission, do take the time to inspect both the front and rear clutch packs. There's a better than even chance that you've got one or more set of clutches failing causing the filter to clog up.

A set of clutches is not that expensive, about $150. Probably no need for the "master rebuild sets", the full gasket and seal kits nor the clutch and steels kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts