SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have an 89 900turbo 16v convertible that I got running good now, but I have a concern about the automatic transmission.. the car has 152,000 miles and the trans fluid is up to the proper level and clean and red.

It seems to shift ok from 1-2 but its reluctant from 2-3. it seems to rely heavily on engine rpm. for example, if i'm cruising at about 35mph in a residential neighborhood, I need to rev it up to about 40-45mph for it to shift from 2-3, then its fine. It shifts rather firm, but I like it that way.
However if I floor it it seems to hang up in any gear and not want to shift until I back off the throttle a tad. I still have issues with the car surging slightly at WOT under load, but I don't know if that could be causing that problem.

Its very consistant and it doesn't vary with temp/humidity. It doesn't seem to be getting worse and there's no whine from the trans.

I guess all I need to know is if this is the normal way the automatic trans works? I'd prefer a stick, but for 500 bucks this car was a steal and i'll deal with it.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
There are two things to consider here. First look at the top cable going to the throttle body and make sure that the crimp on the cable is 2 mm from the end of the cable housing (at rest)

Second it sounds like a band adjustment might be in order.

·
Registered
161 Posts
john1732 said:
However if I floor it it seems to hang up in any gear and not want to shift until I back off the throttle a tad.
It is supposed to work this way. The throttle kick down cable downshifts at WOT to give the car full power when it is needed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My '87 T w/auto shifts exactly the same way and at the same speed as yours....very firm at about 45 mph. I've had the car for 18 months, put on 45,000 miles, (now at 198,000) and nothing has changed. Keep the fluid topped off and clean and as long as you don't do smokey burn outs at every stop light, that tranny should last you a good long time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. its good to know that there's people out there with similar symptoms.

i'll check the kickdown tonite. It seems to kickdown ok, but it can't hurt to check.

your car will do a burnout from a stop? mine can't spin the tires in the rain.;oops: Maybe theres something else up. I know my APC system needs service because i'm only getting base boost, but I just haven't had the time to troubleshoot it. The bentley manual looks pretty helpful for that.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Calling it a kickdown cable is a bit deceptive. Its really the TV (throttle valve) cable. It regulates shift pressure and timing. Set soft it has low pressure and consequently shifts soft and early. It also wears the clutch packs more. Set “hard” the pressures are high and it shifts firmer and late, if you've ever been in a car with it set hard you would know it, the whole car will thump when it shifts. Somewhere in-between there is where you want it, each car has its own spec.

A properly set TV cable is essential to the life of an autobox. To set it properly you need to attach a pressure gauge to a port on the side of transmission and adjust the cable until specified pressure is achieved. I don’t know what it is off the top of my head and I don’t know if the Bentley goes into this procedure or not. This and a band adjustment makes a world of difference in how they shift and drive though, its like a whole new car. :D

I’d do a band adjustment and a fluid change if it hasn’t been done recently. Preventive maintenance is the key with the autobox. Especially since its a turbo.

·
Registered
843 Posts
jetman said:
There are two things to consider here. First look at the top cable going to the throttle body and make sure that the crimp on the cable is 2 mm from the end of the cable housing (at rest)

Second it sounds like a band adjustment might be in order.
As the clutch wears out, does the crimp need to be adjusted closer to the end of the cable housing?

what are the symptoms of a worn auto clutch ?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The clutches are "packs" (stacks of disks); you have two, called front and rear.

There is no adjustment of the kickdown cable to compensate for clutch-pack wear.

The clutch packs give no warning until failure is imminent (a rare event, thankfully). When about to fail, they slip badly and you have trouble even moving off from rest:eek:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for the info ProfZ. Over here, it's impossible to obtain the correct Type F fluid and I'm using Dexron III. From what I've read so far, they're not matching with the clutch friction characteristics of the classic 900 autobox. Failure is imminent and I'm dreading the day when it happens...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts