SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is driving a 87 Saab 900T automatic which is new to her. Unfortunately we don't have knowldege of the car's history.

Basically two related problems, and before I go to the mechanic I would like a little advice.

The car occasionally fails to shift from 2nd to 3rd, unless you bump it using the gear shifter, or let off the gas.

The other problem just noted is that it will not back up a hill (in reverse obviously) with a mildly steep grade. On level or mild grade, no problems noted. (This was scary when we noted this.....)

Does anyone have any idea if this is a adjustment of the transmission issue, or a replacement of the transmission issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Both of these problems are caused by normal age/wear.

I'd first check the fluid level. If it's OK, then you need to adjust both the front band and the rear band.

The front-band adjustment (which will fix the poor 2-3 upshift) required draining the trans and dropping its pan. Search this Forum for details of the adjustment procedure--it's definitely DIY-able (I've done it), and should not be expensive for a trans shop to do for you if you choose to do that. Change the trans filter at the same time ($20 from www.eeuroparts.com).

The rear band can be adjusted from the outside of the trans:) (The Bentley manual has details.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts