SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking to change my 02 9-3 SE from an automatic to manual. I already know what your gonna say "just buy a new car," but im not looking to do that im looking to change my automatic car into a manual. I just need to know what im going to need to buy to make this switch and maybe an estimate if you can. Also if anyone else has done this or is familiar with this any recommendations? Ideas? Tips? Warnings?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My brother is in the process of doing this to his 2000 9-5. But he has a 99 9-5 5sp whole parts car. That being said, he's been at it for months.

If you find a parts car and have a second vehicle while your car is down for the swap, it's a learning experience for sure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll go as far as saying its not worth it unless your redoing the whole car..just thinking of cutting the floor board for the clutch pedal, routing all the cables, swapping the guages so it doesn't have the p,r,n,d,1,2, hopefully the axels are the same, but regardless it seems like a lot of custom fabrication will be needed..might be worth it like stated above if u have a parts car, but if I had a manual parts car I'd just swap engines into the manual, seems much easier and less stressful. Then again ifyour bored or are building a track car or something along those lines or redoing the whole car it might be fun..I don't know if anything I'm saying is making sense...long day and barely any sleep last night plus a few cold ones is making my brain loopy

B

·
0 Posts
Its really not many parts that are needed, and no i did not need to buy a whole parts car, i purchased everything from a local junkyard from a 01 9-3. I am currently in the process of doing the same to my 02 SE. This is just from the top of my head some parts that you will need.

1.Transmission. (duh lol obviously) preferred to get one from a 2001 with vin 12029081 and up for a 5 door and vin 17007509 for a vert due to the update kit
2. transmission rear mount bracket and front metal mount bracket
3. reverse switch on trans and its pigtail
4. flywheel from doner car
5. hydraulic clutch line to clutch master cylinder
6. complete clutch pedal with switches, pigtails and clutch master
7. complete brake pedal assembly (unless you want to cut your old pedal in half) with the switches and pigtails
8. complete center shifter assembly and key cylinder lock switch with shift rod
9. rubber boot between firewall and trans for shifter rod
10. gauges, but that is just so the P R N D 2 L lights are gone. it will be harder to find for a 02 because the gauges are slightly different.

According to other people online, the trionic should recognize its a manual once the auto box's computer is unplugged. A forum member on saabnet ran into a problem where he needed to change the vin (in ecu) to known manual vin in order to eliminate a check engine light. i am currently in the process, i got my transmission and everything needed, currently rebuilding the transmission and will be putting a F35 diff in there or maybe a quaife. the axles should be the same as an auto trans. i can get more info as i move on with the conversion. IMO it shouldent be too hard, the wiring does not seem to be much of a big deal either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts