SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my battery decided to take a crap after I got off work. I got a 11.90 on it and apparently that wasn't enough to turn it over. Click, click. Jumped it, drove home. The outside temp dropped 20 degrees from 70 to 50, and I hadn't noticed any issues prior to today. Lasted I checked, it was at 13.2 a week ago..engine off. No alt. issues.

Got online and really wanted to get a Bosch S4 or S6 battery, ( keepin it euro you know) but Pep Boys ( only Bosch supplier) left my area and are too far away now. I think they were too overpriced on their stuff compared to their competitors.

Anyway, good reviews on the Autocraft. 770ca at 0 degrees, and 960 at 32. 130 reserve amps. I paid 128.00 online ( pick up) from Advance after a 15% discount. Fits like the OE in the tray w/the hold down bracket. Batteries Plus shows that they sell Bosch, but my local store only stocked East Penn which is made by Deka, Interstate. Got the 14.+ back now. I got 106K out of my original battery.....not bad. And this new one has better numbers than the OE as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Don't worry too much about the Bosch battery, it and Autocraft both made by Johnson Controls. I think Johnson Controls and Exide are the only US auto battery manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I had to replace mine back in the spring (weird I know, it made it though winter no problem) and went with an interstate, which is the same as OEM just without the black case on it. Was $135 and available right down the street at a small garage/towing place. Apparently it's the same group size that many newer GM SUV's use?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just replaced my battery with an Optima group 35 battery. Fit perfectly. Actually it was smaller than the stock one, but the retainer is holding it nice and tight. The posts are situated perfectly too.

I paid $150 I think on amazon. Free amazon prime shipping too, that somehow managed to arrive next day as opposed to the 3-5 days it said...;ol;

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Just this week my battery died (it was a Duralast) after 5 years. I, too, bought an Autocraft gold at Advance Auto for $135, which included the 3-year full replacement warranty and they even brought it out and installed it for free.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Had issues years ago with an optima in my 9000. At least the warranty was good on them. I brought it back into sears and the guy behind the counter said he'd had a ton of issues with the optimas. I swapped it out for a die hard gold and never looked back!

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had issues years ago with an optima in my 9000. At least the warranty was good on them. I brought it back into sears and the guy behind the counter said he'd had a ton of issues with the optimas. I swapped it out for a die hard gold and never looked back!
Yeah the appeal w/the Optimas is the eye candy. Rated mid-pack of the line.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Funny thing is that in the 9-5's they sit hidden underneath the battery cover :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
They do have the spiralcell construction, which i know isn't exclusive to them, but is much better that the older style plate designs as they are a bit more robust.

Honestly, the fact that they're red does appeal to me, lame I know. But The price was right and they weigh less than most other batteries which I appreciate. I nearly threw my back out pulling the stock Audi battery out last year, the Optima must have weighed 10 lbs less.

Not saying they're the best by any stretch, but I like them.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They do have the spiralcell construction, which i know isn't exclusive to them, but is much better that the older style plate designs as they are a bit more robust.

Honestly, the fact that they're red does appeal to me, lame I know. But The price was right and they weigh less than most other batteries which I appreciate. I nearly threw my back out pulling the stock Audi battery out last year, the Optima must have weighed 10 lbs less.

Not saying they're the best by any stretch, but I like them.
Shoot me a link on the battery you got. Were you able to put your battery cover over it? Is that why you did the G 35?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Shoot me a link on the battery you got. Were you able to put your battery cover over it? Is that why you did the G 35?
I just measured the battery that was installed (some interstate piece of crap) and matched it up with the dimensions on Optima's site. I'd previously installed a group 25 battery in my Audi (same dimensions but the battery polarity is reversed) so I knew the general size and after some more measuring it appeared it would fit.

It bolted up nice and tight and the poles are in the perfect spots.

Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts