SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is the 9-3 2000 auto 2.0t that I had found overfilled with tranny oil.
Since I sucked out 2.4 litres to get it to correct dipstick level, the tranny seems to have developed a vibration when in D or R when stopped/paused holding the footbrake.
Could these be connected? Is it possible the PO overfilled the transmission to improve the vibration? It's not a terrible vibration, it's just as if the revs drop too low when in D or R when stopped.
Is that possible?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I'd like to be sure when you sucked fluid out of the transmission that you checked properly... I don't think you'd could put that much extra in there. Transmission fluid is checked with the fluid at 80C and the transmission in Park after cycling through P-R-D pausing two seconds in each gear. If these conditions aren't met the dipstick will read low (temp too low) or high (transmission too hot, engine off, or not having cycled gears).

If the transmission was properly checked and fluid is at the right level then the likely cause for shuddering when stopped - assuming the engine idles at the right speed and otherwise runs well - is wrecked engine mounts. The left side one (on the transmission) is always broken, and the other two are always suspect.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes I did suck 2.4 litres out, and the level on the stick is now pretty good cold and hot BUT... without the engine running and I didn't go through the P-R-D procedure.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
The engine MUST be running. Otherwise you will read a quart or two high. Running low fluid is quite bad for the transmission and will lead to a quick failure. I can't stress enough that the correct procedure must be followed. There's only about two gallons in the whole system - if you're not checking the level correctly and you took over two liters out, you're running 75%.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, I've stuffed up then! Now after trying to find out I'm a bit paranoid about finding the correct fluid to top it up with...
Mobil 3309 ?
Toyota type T-IV ? or what? Can anyone advise what fluid we can get in Australia?

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
There are no more official Dexron III fluids, since GM no longer licenses that specification (same with Ford and Mercon), but there are plenty that are still made to the old specifications, like Chevron MD3 and Valvoline Dex/Merc. Some people like to use Toyota T-IV or Mobil 3309, but it seems like total overkill in a transmission that doesn't need it. Only the 5-speed automatics used in the 9-5 need that stuff.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, okay thanks Jeremy. But... my trannie seems to be working fine, so no damage from very minimal usage with low fluid. Topped up now.
But I'd really like to do a full fluid change - yes I know it's a palaver!
So what fluid should I use? Do I assume it doesn't need those 'grades' as above because it's a 9-3 (not a 9-5) ? -Reminder: it's a 1999 Swedish built 9-3 2.0t Australian delivered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts