SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me introduce myself. Im Chris and just a few months ago I bought my first Saab, its a Saab 9-5 wagon. Forums have always helped me out in the past with past cars so I thought it would be good to join this one.

Ok now to the point:

Today while driving the Saab the transmission started completely slipping like if it had gone to neutral. Right when this happened I noticed that the Check Engine Light and the Check Gearbox light went on. I turned off the car and tried it again. When it went back on everything worked fine till a couple of miles ahead were it did the same as before. The transmission wasnt making any noises before. If I kept on restarting the car the car would run for several miles with no problems shifting all gears but then slip again. I'm guessing this has to be do to some censor or a vacuum line.

Any Ideas? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know what the ATF color is but I will let you know as soon as I get home. Its the 4speed and its got 150k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Sounds like your way low on fluid to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
sounds all to familiar,car is almost certainly going into limp home mode due to a failure in solenoid valves/springs in gearbox .have it checked out ASAP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
wilbur said:
sounds all to familiar,car is almost certainly going into limp home mode due to a failure in solenoid valves/springs in gearbox .have it checked out ASAP
But it is not going into limp home mode at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Low fluid! Check your fluid!!!

Simple first! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Low fluid! Check your fluid!!!

Simple first! ;)
Low (or high for that matter) fluid levels do funky things.

SectorNine has got it right, simple things first, expensive things if they aren't the culprit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
saabx7,when the lights come on does the car STILL DRIVE but it feels like its slipping till you get moving?
or is there no drive at all till you switch it off and then restart it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
wilbur said:
saabx7,when the lights come on does the car STILL DRIVE but it feels like its slipping till you get moving?
or is there no drive at all till you switch it off and then restart it?
Oh will you check your fluid already!? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the fluid is actually perfect. the lights are on now even when i restart the car and they stay on. took it to the dealer and they told me it was the tranny and that they would replace it for 7k, i really dont think its the full tranny and plus the full car is not worth that.

thanks for all the help guys, hopefully we can fugure this out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
saabx7 said:
the fluid is actually perfect. the lights are on now even when i restart the car and they stay on. took it to the dealer and they told me it was the tranny and that they would replace it for 7k, i really dont think its the full tranny and plus the full car is not worth that.

thanks for all the help guys, hopefully we can fugure this out.
$7,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Saab Site has exchanges gearboxes for $2k. You can get a Saab indy shop to install it for around $1K in labour I woudl think.

What was thier diagnosis?

If your gearbox fluid burnt/black/full of lots of metal flakes?
Welcome to Saab Central, my god this sucks:cry:

How many miles? Record of Gearbox fluid changes avery 2 years/30,000k?

At this point I would at least try to change the gearbox oil a few times (these cars are hypersensitive to gearbox fluid)

You could also pull whatever fuse (guy help me) and see if that will "rest" the computer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Or you could grab a Cobalt SS transmission, they come with a Quaife LSD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
wilbur said:
sorry about the bad news saabx7 ,thats GM for you.
...Why was I quoted? lol :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this really sucks, i will see and work on a couple of things today, ill post the outcome tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I know

ok so i know exactly what is wrong with your car, because mine did the same thing and its a big deal. what it is, is the sensor in the tranny is broken, so your car cant figure out what gear it is in. which can royally screw your car up. go take it to a tranny place ASAP and the new sensor will prolly cost you around 400 bucks. good luck mine sjut got out of the shop with the same thing. it blew.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
saili_calvin said:
ok so i know exactly what is wrong with your car, because mine did the same thing and its a big deal. what it is, is the sensor in the tranny is broken, so your car cant figure out what gear it is in. which can royally screw your car up. go take it to a tranny place ASAP and the new sensor will prolly cost you around 400 bucks. good luck mine sjut got out of the shop with the same thing. it blew.:(
What is this sensor called and do you know what ws involved in replacing t?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
honestly i have no idea what the part is called but i had to have it special ordered and they had to take alot of stuff of to get to it. for parts and labor it was about 600 bucks. but compared to 2G for a whole new tranny its worth it. but the longer you wait the worse condition your tranny will be in. i only found out cause i had a seal blow and i was leaking fluid everywhere and when they tapped my computer it showed up so i was lucky to get it while it wasnt a big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
saabx7 said:
the fluid is actually perfect. the lights are on now even when i restart the car and they stay on. took it to the dealer and they told me it was the tranny and that they would replace it for 7k, i really dont think its the full tranny and plus the full car is not worth that.

thanks for all the help guys, hopefully we can fugure this out.
Get a second opinion. If you can, try to find out what the codes that were displaying on your dash were. If one of them is P0705, then saili_calvin is dead on. Any autoparts store should be able to do this.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top