SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on a tranny rebuild project for street performance application in excess of 500Nm. will a change in Valve Body be sufficient?

I know of a couple of vendors; level10, etc, besides them anyone out there can do an Aisin tranny?

/i

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am also interested in what a "Performance" build for these trannies would be. Most stage 1 tunes are already pushing the 500NM mark.

I currently have a JZW stage 1 tune and thats a bit over 500NM at the flywheel and the only problem Ive noticed are the common valve body issues. Such as shifting from 2ND to 3rd under wide open throttle will occasionally make the trans slip in between the shifts.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just had MY07 Aero's auto tranny (182.5K miles) rebuilt by one of So Cal's top performance transmission shops. We discussed performance options and they stated flat out there are none. BTW, new valve bodies are now made of 'unobtainium', SAAB NA is back ordered without a delivery date, we found one in Seattle, cost $1375, along with two new clutches the rebuild was $2700+ and 'lost' the car for two weeks, some of the time lost to Thanksgiving and finding the valve body. Now I have to have it married to the ECU with a Tech II update. With regards to your slipping between gears...could be like mine with glazed clutches.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You do realize that the auto-trans in our SAABs are used in ALOT of other vehicles, make and models.

My particular auto-trans is an aw55-50sn and Level10 sells upgraded components including valve bodies for it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You do realize that the auto-trans in our SAABs are used in ALOT of other vehicles, make and models.

My particular auto-trans is an aw55-50sn and Level10 sells upgraded components including valve bodies for it.
Level 10's website does not list any products for SAAB transmissions :

http://ujue5.xspw3.servertrust.com/

The 6 speed Sentronic transmission used in the 2006 + Aero's are ATWF-80SC Aisin Warner units. And yes this unit is used in other marques but I was told the valve bodies are unique to each model and not interchangeable. SAAB made the valve unit's for SAAB or most likely had a Tier 1 manufacture make it for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
this started out a 2.0 convo went to a 2.8 and then back to a 2.0, yes level ten will do saabs they have and will do aw 55-50's, not sure about the 6 speed, but they can probably do a custom build, and i would suspect that for the valve body the AW trans share noids so buillt noids could be interchangiable. as for the disk they can probably source disk and plates for the trans.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Paco, if I'm not mistaken this started out as a 2.8T 6 Speed Sentronic thread and was hijacked to the 2.0T 5 Speed Senronic....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
In this country, in other parts of the world you can get the Aero body and suspension with the lpt 2.0 and the 2.0T

·
Super Moderator
9,863 Posts
Yeah actually in 2009, you could buy a 2.0T with Aero exterior trim (front/rear bumpers). They were rare, but it was an option. I know because I almost bought one. In 2010 the V6 was discontinued of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts