SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I’ve kind of been in denial, since I just got this car, but better to head this thing off if I have to.

Shortly after I got my ’04 9-3 Arc automatic a few weeks ago I noticed that sometimes when I let off the gas after some hard acceleration to maybe 40mph or so, the car is a few seconds hesitant to upshift (from 2nd to 3rd I would guess.) This would happen maybe 1 out of 10 times. It will kind of stay at around 2500 rpms for up to 3 to 5 seconds.

I kind of wrote it off, because since this is my first turbo’d vehicle, I’ve been driving aggressively (and kind of getting it out of my system.) So I figured it was the computer just adjusting poorly to my driving style.

Now yesterday I was driving very conservatively and the car was probably cruising at about 40mph, probably in 4th gear and I put the pedal down about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way and it must have taken a LONG 3 seconds to finally downshift.

The car has 54,000 miles on it and any/all recent maintanence is unknown. I’ve read posts of coolant getting into the transmission on here, would that be applicable to my MY/situation? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
-jason

·
Registered
864 Posts
Dealer service history can be easily verified.
Just go to your SAAB dealer and you can pull full
service history by your VIN.

As far as the transmission problems, most of
'03s and '04s have some weird issues.

I own '03 @ 52k mi and my transmission is acting
up every once in a while but I just live with it.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
There were software updates for two years or so on the early auto's.

The "weird" issue mention was on 03's and early 04's, O rings in the transmission cooler lines were replaced via a service campaign, odds are it's been done. As stated, you can have the Dealer run the VIN and see of these things were done.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Yes, definitely change the fluid - 60 K is the recommended interval, but there's no harm in getting some fresh stuff in there after all these years.

You might also try to reset the computers. Either disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so, OR hunt around and see if you can figure out which fuses control the ecu and transmission computer. It can't hurt, and it's free. Radio presets will stay fine, you might need to reset the clock.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
that sounds exactly like the issue I had a couple of years ago. It would almost seem to mis-shift between 2-3 and the revs would even it the limiter at times before shifting to 3rd. I got a new trans and radiator out of the deal as it was contamination due to bad o-rings. Definately get a service history. Although I have heard of partial successes just doing a fluid flush, but the issues seem to come back after awhile.

And you don't need to wait 20mins on the battery disconenct, I don't know why everyone on here says 20 mins, a few minutes is plenty of time. Seriously, where in the car are electrons being stored other than the battery and probably a few caps somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts